Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
rfsmith1952

T-12 - almost free..

rfsmith1952
Jim Dick from western PA, turned me on to an ad for a free Homelite T-12 about an hour from me in eastern PA. He said it would be a shame to junk it, and that my T-10 needed a buddy. I don't have any way to get it here so I offered the guy 100 to deliver it. It should get here tomorrow or sunday. Condition: Rear wheels are locked, carb leaks, generator bolt broken. I don't know if it runs. Okay doctors of tractors, where do I start?

GregB
hydro or three/six speed manual? If it is manual trans, could be shift forks stuck between gears. Search on "bent screwdriver trick" you can get a tool inside the trans and putthe forks back where they belong. A Hydro, not sure what could cause that.

PhanDad
Based on the lever on the right side of the tractor, it looks like it's a hydro so it should be a Vickers hydro. So the "rear wheels locked" is hopefully the "freewheel" lever in the the normal drive or run position rather than neutral for pushing the tractor around. Here's only only pic I have handy that shows the lever location:

If the Vickers is original, the lever is behind the placard on the right side; straight up is engaged, to the right is disengaged. When disengaged, the brakes don't work on the tractor. Sometimes it takes a little gentle rocking to get the lever to move from one position to the other. As far as starting the engine, there is a couple safety switches that must be satisfied to enable the S/G to start the tractor (hydro neutral position and electric PTO switch "off"). If you turn the key switch on, that should remove the ground from the Briggs magneto, then jump the solenoid to see if the S/G will work. Good luck. Always like to hear about cousins to my T-12.

PhanDad
Bob, On the original vickers, the lever only rotates to about the 1 or 2 o'clock position, not all the way to 3 o'clock. Maybe something is locked up in the transmission. :( There are others on this site that have tore into the vickers transmission. I haven't. Hopefully they'll offer an opinion.

Sign in to follow this