Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What color for a 1975 vintage Simplicity?

donmoore1904

I looked at the archives here, and found that I thought DE1607 - Chevy Orange-Red, was appropriate for my tractor. So I went and bought it. Then I was in another store, and I happened across the paint aisle and DE1652, Chrysler Orange. It has less red, as you would expect. It looked like it might be a match, so I bought it and kept my receipts. Now, I have them both next to my tractor, and I have to say the Chrysler Orange *appears* to be a better match. In the archives, for some tractor a person wrote and said "Chrysler Orange will be too orange." My tractor is a 1975. Help. What do I do? I don't want to trust the cap colors - can someone verify the Chevy Red-Orange is what should more closely match the '75 color? Thanks! Don

IMO the DE1607 was way to red never tried the DE1652 SO i went with rattle cans with the agco name and that was the correct way for me and it was perfect but I paid for it to but (I think it was the right call)

quote:
Originally posted by osenga
IMO the DE1607 was way to red never tried the DE1652 SO i went with rattle cans with the agco name and that was the correct way for me and it was perfect but I paid for it to but (I think it was the right call)
Heh heh. As I was driving home, it occurred to me "you could go to the dealer, and get the right color, if you are willing to pay for it." :D I'm wondering if the DE1607 is for slightly older tractors, ca '60s. Someone else will chime in, I'm sure. Thanks.

Color matching is tricky. On a second glance, the orange looks way too orange, and the DE1607 looks much closer.