Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Piston failure '67 broadmoor 717

Wisconsinfish

Good afternoon all, I have a 67 717 that has major scoring in the cylinder and the piston oil ring is severely damaged. I cannot post pictures sine I only have my phone for the Internet. I am hoping someone would be able to lead me to new replacement engine. I saw online some one used a new 8hp Briggs with the original generator. I have no clue how to cross reference how to do that. This morning I drove 100+ miles to have the block bored and sleeved but the shop that looked at it said there is not enough material to safely do that. He explained that these alum. blocks have a chrome plating on the cylinder wall and he know nobody that can help. I love my broadmoor, and her chains, plow, deck, and blower but now I have the engine all in pieces all over the house and garage and she just sits in the corner of the garage. What do I do?

Look for either used Simplicity 738, 5008 Simplicity tractors and/or Snapper 8 HP Briggs rear engine powered lawn mowers. They have the same cranks and pilot shaft for the booster fan for the SG system. They should bolt right in. 10:25 CST Clarified statement.

i honed out my 8hp briggs after ring failure, primarily for cost reasons. it works great. .050 total, i also ported and polished the intake while it was apart. not hard to do, just time consuming.