Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

my new muffler and heat exchanger

kilalove21

i'm really gaining momentum on my broadmoor 738, since i have a couple mowers, i've decided to fix it up a bit. thanks to all that have helped me with my questions. today, i mounted my lights, built a muffler, and made a heat exchanger. my goal is to build a removable snow cab, not a tarp one, but an enclosed cab. i'm going to use the heat exchanger with a computer fan to heat the cab when doing snow removal. i'm going to try and post pics!

here are the lights

here is the heat exchanger

here is the muffler, i still have to put the top on. the new muffler is SO QUIET! all you hear is engine noise. i can't wait to finish it. to do: 1. fix the trans, put it together, install 2. build snow cab 3. pipe in heating, install fan 4. fabricate and install wheel weight mounts 5. fabricate and install gas can bracket on back of tractor 6. buy and install new tires 7. finish wiring for lights

How are you using the heat exchanger? Air to air exchanger, or Air to liquid? I saw someone flirting with the idea of using copper tubing coiled around the muffler for a heat exchanger. Coolant would be circulated thru the tubing, maybe thru natural current, or maybe pumped with a 12v pump. Air to air would be most efficient, but there is the possibility of a crack and exhaust gases leaking into the warmed "clean" air.

going to try forcing air over it in the winter to heat my cab. hopefully it will at least take the edge off, who knows, maybe even cause me to do snow removal with a window down!

i got the idea from ronhatch, the only difference is the metal between the mufflers is 1/8" round drill bit that was going to be scrapped at my work. i just cut the end off and welded it together. it is pretty heavy so i will end up making a bracket to have the hood shoulder the load of it, as well as keep it all in place.

I'm glad to hear the muffler is working well. I wish I had a welder. Is there a way to brace it to the engine rather then the hood? Just my personal opinion, but I think it would be a safer alternative.

A good idea built from a real need, but, you are playing with a gas that you can't see or smell. It can/will effect you in ways you can't imagine. In a confined space exhaust as is a killer. Scrap this plan and use a vinyl or canvas flap pulling warmed air from the exit of the head air flow. Lots of luke warm air will help out with a leaky, unsealed cab and help keep the moister level lower also. I know you probably didn't want to hear me say to scrap your idea but ask me later how I know about CO2 in a confined area......

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
A good idea built from a real need, but, you are playing with a gas that you can't see or smell. It can/will effect you in ways you can't imagine. In a confined space exhaust as is a killer. Scrap this plan and use a vinyl or canvas flap pulling warmed air from the exit of the head air flow. Lots of luke warm air will help out with a leaky, unsealed cab and help keep the moister level lower also. I know you probably didn't want to hear me say to scrap your idea but ask me later how I know about CO2 in a confined area......
+2

• 1 month later...
I remeber an old post where the guy basically used home duct work to send the warm air off the heads back into the cab. Not the best looking but I bet it worked. Here is what I have for the metal cab... I will put it in for winter.

How in the world do you guy with the heated cab ideas ever expect to get any sympathy from your old lady when your blowing snow in comfort. You need to come in all covered with snow so she will bring you coffee and a blanket and let you have the TV remote.:D:D

Plus the fact you can keep looking for another tractor with a better cab. Don't ever want to let the wife know you are HAPPY with what you got:D:D:D. course there is a certain guy down in Waukesha that kind of messed things up with that sweet cab he got.dOddOddOd

Now all of SE WI is under a buying freeze due to cozy cabs and power steering. Man life if tough enough, and not dreams of upgrades..... Nice heater Mike, and good for you, and sharing photos. Someday....;)

Ohh there will be photos:D I am carpeting the inside, adding a stereo and speakers and antenna. Plus 3 led lights. Heres the box... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390293361769&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT The speakers I have are a wedge design and sound great in my garage. If I do not find another set cheap I will use those...

Mike, With all the electrical accessories you are adding, you may want to beef up your charging system. That heater will take 10 amps by itself.

I am going all led. I figure the heater will be very intermittant so it should not be a big deal. I am hoping to put it on a reostat. I plugged it in the truck and think that I would need to run it for maybe 30 seconds to warm the whole cab!