Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

clumping grass

I have a 20 year old simplicity 5216H. I have tried everything to stop it from clumping grass when I cut the lawn. My dealer assures me that all the parts of the 42 in. mower deck are intact and they have sharpened the blades and leveled the deck. The grass clumps whether you are cutting in a high or low position. I'll try anything anyone suggests. Thanks.

I would say try removing or modifying your discharge chute but that might be dangerous so I won't. You may want to cut your grass more often. FYI my 1969 3112V has a smallish discharge chute and works great, my 73 Homelite had a much longer one. I haven't seen my Homelight chute in years.

...Clumping is not a problem here, Dust ! My AC312 Has a 42" deck that's missing the chute guard/baffle. The clippings just fly ! When I used a walk behind I would prop the guard up when I was cutting tall grass.

Your previous post concerns a slipping belt. The slipping belt may be the cause of the grass clumping.

My suggestion to you is to be sure that the grass is good and dry when cutting. I have read many articles on cutting and it is much better to cut dry than wet grass. It requires less horsepower, saves your deck from getting clogged and grass does not clump. I would also recomend cutting at a slower ground speed and keeping the RPM's up on the motor. Give your deck a chance to discharge all of the grass before it cuts more. You may also want to cut your grass a little taller. Just my 2 cents. GR-Made

I had replacement blades (Not SimpleAC) on my deck and had this problem in heavy grass. I also had the slipping belt problem till I got the original cast iron pulley for the pto and the mower deck. I then used the gates a series belt with Kevlar to drive the deck. This is a very heavy belt but is the proper size. (A44K for b12). With the heavier blades and the old but proper pulleys, my mower mows like I always thought it should. I would buy A brand new one right now! DaleC dale.conrad@fuse.net