Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Carburetor Baffle Kit

RayS

anybody have a clue as to what item C is used for in the picture. I bought a tractor a couple of years ago that had this on it. I thought it was a home made item so I removed it. It was on a 7000 series. I know it states it is a baffle but what is it`s purpose? This illustration I have posted is a single page document and what you see is what you get from the picture. I have probably over 30 tractors through here in the past and this is the only one I ever had that had this item. Any clues?

I think I may need one of these on one of my tractors. Once my engine has been run for about 15 minutes the carb acts like it needs readjusting. If I adjust it then the engine does not run well when cold the next time I start it up. I had never seen a picture of one of these before. From the looks of the upper plate in the picture and the fact that the exhaust goes out the other side, it looks like it is for the 7100/900 series tractors.

The one I have came off of a 7016H. I suppose someone could have moved it from a 7100 series but the date code on engine was from around 1975. Since it was available has a kit maybe it was just order and put on the 7016H. I have never seen one on any other tractor, but you are lucky if you get a 7100 series with the heat shield on top the engine when you find a tractor.

I am wondering if this would have helped this winter. In one storm, we had freezing rain and it created havoc with both my throttle and governor. But I don't believe that is the purpose. Looks like a heat shield.

I agree with Greg (Michiganmobileman). It looks like this baffle prevents heat from getting to the carb. It is unlike the other "winter kit" baffles which capture and deflect heat from the muffler to the carb. I am curious too as to what this accomplishes. Maybe it would do what Rod suggests, and help to moderate temperature extremes at the carb and result in more stable adjustment. I am sure someone has an answer. Glen

quote:
I'm baffled...
:D
quote:
I agree with Greg (Michiganmobileman)
:D:D^ Let me try again...;) possibly meant to be used when tractor is operating a stationary accessory such as a generator or 540 PTO or other non mobile uses where you would not have the air moving across as the tractor moves? (I like puzzles?) Greg

heat to the carb is not necessarily a good thing.. on the kohlers there was or is a special optional carb gasket spacer thing to isolate the heat from the engine block from getting to carb... assumedly for the same purpose in the event you have trouble with the heat

Conditions would have to be extreme for a vapor lock on one of these engines. However, later model Briggs engines used a gasket on the carb base that "closed off" the hole coming from the area around the exhaust/muffler connection to keep the carb from getting overheated. So, maybe a shield would be a nice addition to any engine