Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
steve-wis

tranny question

steve-wis
I have a pair of 616 yeomans. I would like to take one of them and use it for grass mowing, and the other one for the snow blower and tiller. Of course the 616 does not have the output shaft for a tiller. I got a tranny from a 637 from Tim Flury and the original plan was to assemble it (got it in a box) and bolt it into one of the 616's. As I look at the two, I am wondering if a bit of modification is possible. I would like to take the imput shaft from the 637 tranny (the end opposite the input pulley is the pto for tiller) and put it into the two speed tranny now on the tractor. It would involve drilling the housing thru and machining for a seal on the output side, but otherwise I see no problems. I would then need to address the two points that the belt stops attach to, but this would be easy. The two speed might be too fast for tilling, but because I would use it only for tilling and blowing snow, I thought a 10 or 11 inch pulley instead of the 9 inch would slow me down enough. I have a hi-lo for it, but when the hi-lo is in lo, the shaft turns much slower, which would run the tiller much slower, defeating the purpose. What do you all think? It would be a frankenstein, a two speed with the output shaft. Kind of unique, I think. Any thoughts? Sorry for the long post, trying to explain as best I can. Steve

TimJr
I did exactly that about 12 years ago to a 717 Broadmoor mutt that I have. Trans needed to come apart for other problems, so I figured why not add a PTO - I had a tiller already. I thought I had pics, but I can't find them. As for your ground speed - it will always be a problem. A larger input pulley will effectively slow the whole trans down, and seeing how the PTO is the opposite end of the input, the implement will be spun too slowly also. Not a real problem unless in heavy soil or sod. An uncle opened up the case for me, and factory 3 speed parts went right in. Tim

steve-wis
Tim, Just so I am understanding, you left the tranny a two speed but added the input shaft from a three speed so you had a pto shaft, right? Did you also open up the two holes where the belt stops are mounted, and did you change the shafts in those areas as well? Steve