Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gray Harley Davidson 7010 Hot Rod

hotrodtractor

Well thanks to this great site I located and bought probably the coolest tractor I have ever seen. This came about rather oddly when I came across a picture of a Gray Harley Davidson simplicity 7010. The HD tractor had some cool chrome shocks on that I wanted to duplicate for my 75th anniversary. Long and short Dan (CleanBee) informed me he had that tractor. A few months passed and Dan and I got to talking at the Mineshaft meet up. He said he had a 75th he was going to part out and may sell that HD tractor. I drooled over that HD the minute I saw the 1st picture. He said he wanted to keep the rims and decks off both machines…fast forward… we made a deal (no decks or wheels) and I took them both home. It’s awesome when you meet another tractor guy who is cool and you become friends. Thanks simpletractors! Anyway about the HD tractor. Machine has frame off and every part was powder coated. Frame and other sheet metal dark metallic gray. Running boards and accent pieces metallic silver. The rest all black. The engine is a original 24341 10hp Briggs that has been rumored to been done up with higher compression, jets and the like. The most notable part on this machine is the chrome. Just about every bolt has been replaced with hardened chrome bolts, nuts, washers, and lock washers. Unbelievable some one has lots of man hours in to this machine. I could not find one part on the machine that has not been powder coated or chromed. Will be sending exhaust elbow our to ceramic coated soon.:D As said I purchased without the chrome rims that the original owner had done. That is ok though as those where the narrower fronts and rears. I will reach out to the members for advice on picking new wheels and tires. Some thoughts all about $650 range. Rear tires 24x12x12 turfs. Front 18x9.5x8 turfs. The rims is where I am struggling. I could get Douglas polished aluminum puller wheels for under $500. Or 12X10 cub cadet or local guys widens (12x12) for $120 a set of OEM 8x6 fronts then and get them chromed. I am leaning on the chrome side as it shines better and are far more unique than the Douglas that everyone (pullers) seem to have. One last option found some 295/50r15 car tires and 15” chrome wheels new for about $400 but that leaves me with no fronts. (pictures shown rims off my 75th and the outdoor shots of the orginal rims that Dan kept) Last tidbit the 1st week I had the HD tractor I swaped the rear 6” pulley for a 4” one and got the speed one would expect from a looker like this. I think I may start pairing this tractor up with my near mint 75th anniversary tractor for shows. Guess my alias of hotrodtractor is proving to be a good match. Cya Kevin Note I have not even washed the tractor yet....yes Dan that is your dust.

Love the chrome wheels. Are wheels like that available today? Not sure I understand the shocks though. Cosmetic only right since the way it looks to me there's no way then can actually compress the way they're mounted?

The engine will stay orange, as it's in too good of shape to change. But I do wonder if it would have looked better black. Chrome rims can not be bought must be dipped see the original post. Shocks are for looks.

The chrome wheels looks sweet for sure, but they also look to me like a set of old car rims you had sitting in the garage and decided to bolt to your lawn tractor. On a riding tractor they just don't do much for me. Just my $0.02. I think if you did a nice powder coated silver, that would look real nice. And that's not to mention the nightmare you'll probably encounter with aftermarket chroming now-a-days. In restoring several cars, I've used many chrome shops (around the country) with many disappointing results. The one thing you'll learn quickly is that unless you want to spend big dollars at a good shop, the quality elsewhere is horrible. Just something to keep in mind.

This has been really fun. I am just shocked that this tractor is so nice. Some folks have suggested I get into the pulling hobby with this machine (not sure about that). Anyway no wheelies yet as the belt slips a bit in 3rd on the start. I will get a 1" smaller belt 46" and see if that helps. Still some bugs to work out. Dan I am with you the engine does have that pop factor and the orange goes with the HD theme. I think the chrome wheels look nice and add to the HD theme. The Douglas wheels do look nice also just less shine. I guess I could be real cheap and just get some chrome wheels covers (baby moons) and call it a cheap day. But think this machine deserves much better shoes than that. 8D

Chrome lights compliments of a 1985 HD FLH with passing lamps. They're real guide lamps with the triangle G and Guide Lamp housings. Got them off ebay with the eyebrows, original Harley mounting brackets, wiring n all for 15 bucks plus shipping. Keep your eyes on ebay...sets come up fairly regular. As for the hub caps, they're 6 inch on the front and need no modifications, they snap right in to the second lip on the wider front wheels and the rear hub caps are for 10 inch wheels and needed a slight modification...here's a how too video I shot a little while back on how to modify them and how where they actually clip to on the 12 inch rims. They really set off a nicely painted set of wheels. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGy0bARi4-c

Zippo- nice ride I have come across your pics before and enjoyed. Thanks for the how to on the baby moons! I have another 75th I am looking to get up and ready on the cheap I may go that route. The hub caps are about $100 for all 4. I can get the rims chromed for about $200.

The smaller 10 inch and 6 inch hub caps typically come in cheaper than the 12/8 inch ones do. There's a place here in Indiana that sells them in stainless steel, either round like the stockers or cone shaped like I had on my old Blue Diamond. Just search ebay and you should stumble on their auctions.

1 cool ride! 2 thumbs up
quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
Doing wheelies can lead to cracked axle tubes.
Chris - sounds like wise words from a man of experience.

• 1 month later...
some more pictures now rides wheelies with dual clutch springs 3.5-4" pulley. Next will be a exhaust mod TBD. Then the super expensive 12x12 chrome dipped wheels Then 26x12x12 tires Then new adjustable high back seat with arm rests Then thrust washer steering mod Then if I have any money left... chrome/aluminum wheelie bars [br

[img]/Club2/attach/hotrodtractor/hd side shrunk.jpg[/img]