Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B 10 MOWER MODIFICATION

RonHatch

I know that Simplicity/AC has the best designed deck in the business and I also know they offered a kit that lowered the leading edge of the mower deck opening that was used in conjunction with the vacuum system. The following pictures are my version of that kit. I used a 4' length of heavy duty vinyl base board and a 4' x 1/8" x 1 1/2" flat metal. I sandwiched the baseboard with the curled edge down and facing the mower blades between the inside of the deck and the new metal strip. The bottom edge of the vinyl is even with the bottom edges side and back of the deck. I used the vinyl baseboard because it's cheap, it's flexible, and it has a curled bottom edge. I'm hoping it will help contain the air inside the deck a little better and direct it out the discharge with a little more authority. I want to hang a couple of bags off the back without the vacuum blower for a quick clean ups when needed during the spring and summer. I would still us the vacuum blower and trailer in the fall when I have tons of leaves. It worked fairly well on a 728 I had years ago. Has anyone tried bagging without the blower on a large frame tractor?

I'm just waiting for the grass to grow.

Hi Ron, I'll be interested in hearing your results. I have for over 15 years used a gas engine powered vacuum on a varitey of cardboard box tractors. I however found that, to me, the raised leading edge mower deck on an el cheapo MTD worked much much better than a later sears riding mower with a leading edge that ran very close to the ground. The sears would seem to blow the leaves away from the deck. If the leaves made it under well then it was OK. I found a big difference in conjunction with trying to pick up leaves on a shortgrass lawn VS a shaggy lawn that seemed to hold the leaves in position and prevent their escape.... Their performance difference in grass cutting alone and vacuuming compared to vacuuming the leaves, that have to pass under the leading edge of the deck, was quite pronounced. For this reason after many years on the side line , I am repairing and resurecting the el cheapo MTD for its superior vacuuming ability. The sears will get scraped. I of course will be trying out my new 3410S with the 42"deck and vacuum & cart. cheerssm06

Thanks! I agree that picking up leaves in a little longer grass works better. I have a 4016 Ingersoll with a hydraulically driven vacuum blower that works well in the grass, but it just blows the leaves around on the blacktop drive. A couple of years ago, I restored a Cub Cadet 102 the had a 3 bladed 42" deck that was fairly open in the front. After making a couple of rounds with it, my nicely restored tractor was covered in grass. I couldn't believe it! I ended up welding a length of flat iron in to fill the gap, which solved the problem. Pretty much 100% of the grass came out of the discharge after that. I'm hoping between the well designed AC deck and the inward curve of the new front baffle. I'll end up with most of air blowing out of the discharge.

I'm starting to wonder if it's amount the tips are raised on the mower blades affecting the "fan" action and ultimately the amount of blowing going on?

I agree. That also causes a lifting action that helps stand the grass up for a better cutting job too. I'm just tring to direct the air movement better.

Hi Ron, Not to get off the subject, but I sure would like to see a bunch of pictures of your B 10 in the "show and tell" section. Your B 10 is fantastic!!! Mike

Hey Ron I second the motion, lets see some more Pictures. It looks like you have lots of neat stuff. jh

I would love to post pictures of my modified 857 Wheelhorse and 102 Cub Cadet plus my almost stock round fender John Deere, but this is a Simplicity and A C site. Variety is the spice of life. Don't tell my wife I said that! I will say the wheels have been replaced with rollers on all my mower decks. It was fairly easy to do on most of them except for the Cub Cadet.