Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
mroman59

tractors used for scrap metal ?

mroman59
When you guys find old tractors and take them in to scrap yard, do you have to take off all non metal parts, like tiers, seat, etc? What is the going rate for scrap metal tractors right now? I know that if you have copper or aluminum you can get more in my area.

donmoore1904
At my scrapyard, the input in the light metal area is pretty much all metal. I only scrapped one tractor - I took off the seat and tires because I wanted them anyway, but also didn't want to get there and find out they wouldn't take it. Since they are paying per pound, they probably wouldn't be happy paying for rubber/plastic.

rm
i dont scrap them!! part it out save what you might need. i found a landlord in a scrap yard years ago. i bought it off them. its in my basement in pieces. had a good trans and bgb

goatfarmer
Tin is $260 a ton around here as of last week. I take in appliances, which have a lot of plastic parts on them. They don't seem to care about that, they get crushed all the same. Now tires they don't like to see. Some aluminum is worth a lot, I saw a sign for cans at .60 a pound. The aluminum condensers, shelves, etc from said appliances brings a little less.

Chris727
quote:
Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy
We try to restore them and keep them out of the scrapyard!
I agree. The only stuff I scrap is beyond use and has no worthwhile salvagable parts. I've even given some stuff away rather than see it scrapped.

dentwizz
I make it a point to periodically check on my local heap for that reason. More than once I've found intact seat decks or hoods there. The place knows scavengers look so they save nice things off to one side and reserve them ;)