Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
kenmill1958

Kohler 18hp Engine Usage Question

kenmill1958
I am able to pick up a Kohler 18hp twin cylinder engine for $260.00. I want to use it in my 919 Allis. Problem I have is this is the engine with out an oil filter. Engine has not seen much use and has low time on it. Would it be worth that money if it is a good running engine. I would prefer an M-18 but all of these twins are getting hard to come by.

RedbarnRick
That seems to be a good price for an 18 hp motor even if it is a Kohler ;) Maybe there is a way to add a filter to it or use a remote filter mount from a hydro and mount it inside the frame.

kenmill1958
Its an M-18. From what the guy had told me earlier I thought it was a KT series. Came out of a Ford GT18 tractor. Older gent owned it. He had sprayed cosmolean on parts of the tractor and stored it on dirt. Most of the machine had rotted out. Has the low oil pressure switch. I'm thinking it may just have the block off plate where the filter would be. Going to check it out tomorrow.

kenmill1958
Well got an even better deal. Another guy I was talking to has the identical engine. He is getting married soon and has to get rid of some things. He is going to sell me an M-18 wit low hours from a Powerking Tractor for $125.00. He is going to throw in a carb rebuild kit because it has been sitting and will only run on choke. He is also throwing in the oil filter adapter and a box of misc parts fro other Kohler twin cyl eng. Only draw back is he is 1.5hrs from me. I will have to wait 2 weeks until I go to my other place in northern Pa to pick it up. Only 1.5hrs from that location.