Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
TomSchmit

32" tiller bearings

TomSchmit
I need to replace the main bearings on a 32" tiller (for early B series). Most of the discussion I was found by searching was for the later 36" version. The old, original parts manual shows them as 8151071. The advertizers' web-based parts look-up has 1279268, for about $32. The bearing from the tiller is unmarked (except CHINA, of course). The ones I find at FleetFarm ($9) have different lengths extending from the sides of the bearings, which I suspect is important to holding the shaft in the proper position iside the case. I believe that these are actually 1-1/8" bearings, likely RA 102 RRB or GRA102 RRB. Now I see that these types of bearings are sold in both "wide inner ring"and "Narrow inner ring." Can anyone confirm or tell me a common descriptor fot this bearing? Thanks - Tom

sammiefish
i found this description BEARING-CARTRIDGE 1.125IDX2.375ODX0.937L it looks on the diagram like it might just be a 3 flange bearing??? maybe look here as well: http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/threeboltflangebearing.html im sure someone will chime in here with exactly the info you need but the site above might be something you could look at...

BLT
Tom - Download this. I think your answer is in here. http://www.ducasse.cl/common/asp/pagAtachadorVisualizador.asp?argCryptedData=GP1TkTXdhRJAS2Wp3v88hDETbI%2F9CDx0&argModo=&argOrigen=BD&argFlagYaGrabados=&argArchivoId=970

TomSchmit
Got it again, Bob! The cross reference shows it to be RA102-RRB just as I suspected (I believe that the G at the start indicates that it is specially sealed for ground contact applications. And Sammie, the description (CORRECTED 3/9) not the correct one - it is NOT the 3-hole flanged bearing. It has no attachments at all, as it it held between two plates. Thanks!

Talntedmrgreen
Tom- I'd love to see some photos of your project. I'm considering the same project myself...not sure how easy/difficult it will turn out to be. Very useful info, thansk guys. Josh

MikethePlumber
Tom, I agree with Talntedmrgreen. If you could post some pics of your tiller bearing replacement project that would be very helpful. Posting any mistakes you've made during the process would be great also. Thanks, MikethePlumber

TomSchmit
Bearing replacement on this tiller is easy, compared to the problems shown in other posts for the 36" version. The hardest part is getting the seized-up tines off! The bearing is held on by a collar with set screw, and two clamping plates held on by three nuts. The first picture shows the tiller case with the bearing removed. What you see is a gaping hole around the shaft, and the case filled with black grease:

The next picture is the tow clamping plates, that hold the bearing between the rims that are formed around the round openings.

Picture 3 is the bearing itself ... this bearing is not the correct "sealed" type as you can see the balls inside. Look closely to see how the inner ring seems to be "off-set" with the ring being thicker on the left side than the right side:

This off-set is part of the "eccentric collar" system that holds the inner bearing ring to the shaft. When the collar is placed over this ring, a drift is used to twist the collar in the dirction of shaft rotation. In the pic of the collar below, you can see both the set screw hole on the left, and an unthreaded hole on the right ... this second hole is where you put the drift or punch then hit it with a hammer to twist the collar in the direction of shaft rotation:

Then the collar is twisted, it locks firmly to the shaft. If you don't know about this eccentric collar and fail to "untwist" it, you will not be able to remove the collars. All in all, a pretty easy bearing replacement process. Tom

TomSchmit
After removing the tine attachment pins or bolts, I was able to break them free using leverage from a couple 5 foot long steel rods. But even when I got them to turn, they would not move off the shaft. So my local shop used a long rod down the center tube to support a wheel puller. Then heat from a torch, and whack with a hammer. A bit of screaming and cursing, too. Tom