Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs carb linkage

country

I finally have the governor arm and spring set right (hopefully), but when I start this engine it idles higher than it should. After inspecting the carb linkage, I found that with the governor arm agains the stop, the idle screw is no where close to contacting the carb like it should. See pics 1 and 2 below.

I'm pretty sure the linkage arm is installed correctly. The top hole on the tab for the throttle shaft the arm is in is very sloppy, but it doesn't seem like it should go in the bottom hole. Thoughts?

Cable misadjusted?? or rod to short. I would think the only reason for a hunting throttle is lean (throttle shaft to sloppy)or spring broken. I have that engine and it is adjusted well runs like a top and purrs at 800 rpm idle. The idle should close without the governor rod in place?? If so it is not in the carb.

If you install the carb link in the hole closest to the throttle shaft, the governor arm will cause the carb to over react and make the engine hunt. You are out of phase using that hole.

Thanks all for confirming I have the linkage arm installed in the correct hole. I just have to figure out why it seems too short. It's the original arm from when I repainted the tractor a couple years ago, so I know it can be fixed.