Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

serf steering

sierradriver

I am working on a serf 525 and am having trouble with my steering. My question is is there a diagram or does any body have a picture from column forward. Any help is appreciated thanks

Do you have a manual???? The model number is 990485. When I'm at home, I can put up some pics. The drag link runs around and next to the base of the engine.

My problem is my front axle was shot so i fixed it to the way it was, maybe a little better I thought. The wheels were tilted in on the top one worse then other now it seems either messed something up because it turns left sharp but right it hardly turns i just want to know if what got messed up. trying to get it done to show off. I'm doing a complete tear down. Thanks for the time and help.

All I can say is download Manual 990580 for the 525 serf and look at pics in the parts manual.Did you remove thetie rod? Maybe you have the tie rod length wrong and steering wheel is of a turn.can you post pics of what you got and maybe we can help figure it out

The tab at the bottom of the steering column should be pointing toward the right side of the tractor where the drag link attaches. I was busy today. I'll try to get some pics up in the morning.

Thanks everyone for the help I kinda think I figured it out thanks to you guys. Put wheels on and it seems to turn the same both ways, weather or not it is as sharp it is suppose to be.

Hang on here,,,,, You were looking at the angles that the spindles were at without tires on?? If so, I see. I looked at that too when I had my Serf all apart. Remember, the tire on the inside of the circle is at a shorter radius than the one on the outside. In front end alignment terms, it's called "Toe out in turns". Steer the wheels lock to lock and you will see how the steering geometry works.

I was looking at it with the wheels off kind of a rookie mistake but I just couldn't comprehend 1/2 of a turn of steering wheel lock to lock just didn't seem right again rookie mistake. Thanks again