Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Quiet old Briggs

palmrose2

Finally got my 3112V to an acceptable noise level. Used Carquest part # EXH 157681. It's a muffler for a Honda Civic. My exaust system is as follows. 4" nipple screwed into the head then a 90 degree ell turned forward. Then about 7" and another ell turned towards the clutch side of tractor. Short nipple and then the muffler that sits just between the two uprights on either side of the grill. On the muffler exit I fabricated a mount using the bracket that came with the muffler and an extra 1 1/2 " clamp. The bracket bolts to the tractor at the light mounting location. I can now here my valves clattering. Sweet music compared to its former bark.

Geesh you guys make me feel like I'm still in the stone age. I have no way to get a pic except to get out my trusty 35 mil, snap a photo and get it developed, and then send it snail mail. I can tell you that the can measures 11 1/2 " long by 6 1/4' diameter and the top of the muffler is about 4" below the engine cover. Back side of muffler is about 1/2 of an inch in front the grill. Grab a new roll of paper towels and hold it in that position. That is crosswise to the tractor. Now imagine a piece of 1/16" thick by 2" wide by 6" long channel iron with about about 1/2" sides (end view I__________I) layed up against the side of the tractor where the light mounts. Two holes are in it that line up with the light mount holes with a 1 1/2 " U-bolt welded to the end facing forward to grab the muffler exit. Okay now there you are in front of your tractor paper towels in your right hand pressed up near the grill. Your left hand is layed up against the side of your tractor just below your headlight and your wrist is a U-bolt. See. Thats what it looks like, except of course my muffler is silver colored and doesn't have that kitchen print on it. The inlet and outlet are not centered but that does not present a problem. I may still add yet another similar bracket to the muffler inlet.