Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What Model is it?

MPH

First Simplicity I've seen on craigslist up here, says it's an 18hp, opposed Briggs????, has snowblower, deck, tiller and blade. I see in the pic it's a trip angle from the seat blade.^ Also see it has manual liftC but I can't read the # on the hood. Asking 500 bucks, phone call in the morning.

Look at the air cleaner on the engine Marty.. Definately a Cast Iron Briggs single which would make the tractor a 7016, which would also make it either a 6 speed or a hydro. One things for sure, if thats the current picture, its not an 18 HP and not a Kohler, and not a twin....

Definitlty a 7000 series with a Briggs single 12-16HP with a standard, shuttle, or hydro... People who post pictures like that really piss me off.

I hope you get it Marty, good luck. You may have to remove the running boards to make it feel right :D. jh

Good eye Sam, never caught that last nite, but then, my stories is, I was looking at it after returning home from a 17 hour trip to Fairbanks with a side trip out to the hotsprings with my youngest on the way home so I was beat.[:) -----remove the running boards to make it feel right------ Maybe I'd let it be and pretend it's a baby PowerMax John.[:D]

Ask the guy the model no. printed on side of tractor. Let us know what you learn about the engine when you call him. Those attachments could be worth the $500. But I would want an electric lift if it is not hydro.

Sounds like Maynard has the beast pegged. Talked to the guy last nite finally after leaving 3 messages during the day, says it's an 18hp single cly Kohler. Suttle transmission. Governor quite working last summer. He bought it new 30 some years ago, has never mounted the deck and hardly used the snowblower. Mostly tilled about 2 acre garden and bladed snow. Getting it don't sound good, had 3 calls within an hour after posting at 9:30 PM. All plan on looking at it this weekend. Told him if one buys but don't want the snow blower too bad knock 'em off 100 bucks and I'll take the blower, my main need of the attachments as my 42 inch basicly rotted apart.

The 18hp Kohler is noted for throwing exhaust valve seats But is a very sought after engine by tractor pullers. They pay big bucks for them even with the loose exhaust valve seats.

Picture is hard to see but it sure looks like it has the briggs updraft carb on it. Lots of people confuse briggs engines as Kohlers....

I agree with Chris; that sure looks like a Briggs cast iron single with the long intake manifold and the larger/taller air filter. Tom (PK)

Marty, I have what used to be a 718 Allis. Came with a smoking 18hp single. The carb in the picture does not look like what was on my kohler. The Kohler used a flatter filter mounted so the thru hole was horizontal into the horizontal throat of the carb. That aircleaner/ carb in the picture looks briggs to me. Maybe someone repowered it with a briggs after the head went?

Dang, if gas wasn't 3.99gal and it's 290 miles to where the tractor is I'd have to go look and see. One would think if he's owned it since new he would have it straight, but then again, while talking to him last nite he was looking for the manual and found one for the deck and blower, claimed they were sold by Sears, so, maybe he is clueless since I don't recall hearing Sears ever sold Simplicity anything. Rick, if I were to score it for 500, sell the motor for 800, yea, I have 16hp briggs that just needs a set o rings.

To add more to the theory of it being a Briggs, the 7018 with the Kohler 18hp OHV engine could only be ordered with the hydro transmission. I also agree that it looks like a Briggs. Call him back and ask for the model number. Dan

Well, it's gone. After telling him the 18hp Kohler only came with a hydro he corrected himself to 18hp single briggs, kinda quite when I told him the biggest briggs was 16hp. Might have missed out on a b.s. pain in the rear.