Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
mroman59

steering housing assembly - hydraulic line route ?

mroman59
I am replacing my steering shaft on my 7117H (later model). http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=simplicity&mn=1690571+-+7117H,+17HP+Hydro+w/Turf+Tires&dn=19388 I was thinking of replacing the whole system, housing assembly and gears, because I picked up a used one (from a nice gentleman in this forum). The unit is all together and I thought it would be easy to slap in and inspect the old one when I took it out. Plus easier to line up timing marks on the bench. However, I noticed that the hydraulic line is routed right through the center of the housing assembly and to get the assembly off you have to remove the hydraulic line. Is this the normal route for the line? Can anyone tell me if they have a similar or different set up? If I remove the line (release pressure first) will I lose much fluid? Am I missing something?

stevenj
If I remember correctly, you don't have to take the line completely off, but I think there is a p clip/clamp to secure the line into the bottom of the tunnel that needs to be removed to allow the line to move to the side and remove the gear. Also helps to remove the instrument panel to allow the steering gear to tilt more when removing.