Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wheel/Rim Choices 12x12

hotrodtractor

As you may have read in my other posts I got a new toy (Gray Harley Davidson 7010) http://simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=115893 trying decide on some rims. I think the chrome wheels look nice and add to the HD theme. The Douglas aluminum puller wheels do look nice also just less shine. I guess I could be real cheap and just get some chrome wheels covers (baby moons) and call it a cheap day. But think this machine deserves much better. If you guys had to pick the Douglas puller wheels vs getting stock wheels chromed which would you pick. The one down fall to the Douglas is the fronts are only 4" wide so narrow tires only. I had polished aluminum wheels on my trans am ws6 and keeping them shiny was a labor filled task. I also looked at getting the rims powder coated with a bright silver/ chrome look and it was not much cheaper than getting chrome. Attached is a picture of MikeES tractor that has the aluminum wheels to give you an idea. Some thoughts all about $650 range. Rear tires 24x12x12 turfs. Front 18x9.5x8 turfs. The rims is where I am struggling. I could get Douglas polished aluminum puller wheels for under $500. Or 12X10 cub cadet or local guys widens (12x12) for $120 a set of OEM 8x6 fronts then and get them chromed. I am leaning on the chrome side as it shines better and are far more unique than the Douglas that everyone (pullers) seem to have. One last option found some 295/50r15 car tires and 15” chrome wheels new for about $400 but that leaves me with getting the factory fronts chromed. I think the low profile wide 15" wheel would be cool. The rim is not fancy just a basic 15" wheel chrome.

[img]/Club2/attach/hotrodtractor/P1010042.jpg[/img]

Do you guys think going with a car rim and tire would not be a good idea? I know it will ride much rougher. I think the large rim and smaller tire would look good, the same trend car and trucks are today. Talked to my local gy he said $70 each for 15x10 and about $100 for the 295 tires.

Hey Kevin, Check these out. A little over the top??? http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=113044&SearchTerms=cadillac

thanks Tim that helps a ton. I copied the picture here for convenience

Yikes I love bling more than the next guy but that look is NOT for me at all. Biggest problem is the lack off reverse offset those are flat like most FWD cars have. I am definitely thinking deep dish. Seeing that makes me think against the car rims. I don't want my machine to look like I just stuck on whatever I could find. I want true tractor guys to appreciate and be like wow he's got some work done on that thing.

what are your thoughts on getting some simplicty 12x7 wheels widened to 12x12? I am not promoting this just seeking feedback from the members http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/wheels.htm Custom widening of 12" steel wheels. Wheels are cut (split) and widened with a steel band. They are finished and ready to clean and paint. For TWO wheels: With core trade-in: $110.00/set, plus shipping. No core trade-in: $130.00/set, plus shipping Is this what you all suggest for getting wider wheels? This is local for me so no shipping.

You would be better off and cheaper off finding a pair of wheels from a zero turn mower IMHO. That being said, if you can't find any, then welding in a sleeve is your only alternative. I've seen some on the GT pullers. The wider stance puts a lot of strain on the axles when they are all weighted down and hooked up to the sled. For show and fun, I would say "Go for it"!!

I did a quick look on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/12-12x10-5-5on4-5-Riding-Lawn-mower-RIM-fits-some-TORO-/280406345421?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41498546cd Considering I am getting chromed I like the lack of traditional weld in hub that often rusts at the seam. These are nice and wide 12x10.5 and have more off set keeping the tire away from the BGB. These are the more traditional type http://cgi.ebay.com/12-12x10-5-5x4-5-Riding-Lawn-Mower-Equipment-RIM-Wheel-/390274194916?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ade279de4

My only suggestion - and I can't stress this enough - is do your homework on chrome shops and only use one that comes recommended. There are many "affordable" chrome shops out there, where the end result looks great, but even as a garage queen that never see the elements, it will start peeling in a year. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I have about 6K in chrome on my '55, but it was worth every penny. I learned the hard way on other cars.