Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Michiganmobileman

Snowblower versus frozen cement block OUCH

Michiganmobileman
Fortunately I was backing up but it still hurt.

I did it the last day of February and have the blower off now and mostly welded, don't expect to need it again this season and want to weld up a plate under both skids for next year. Could of been worse. Greg

timflury
Hey Greg..... Despite your little run in with a cinder block, how well did your stainless steel liner work out?? Looks like you have enough clearance to weld on an extra plate to back up the crack in the inside of the housing.

JohnMBerst
Ouch to say very little. And since I have hit a few things over the years, bending the sides inward, added these late this year. Hope it stiffens the edge enough. And added those orange sticks along drive and by culvert to help the old eyes and brain remember, "watch our for rock".

sm01

Will have to wait for next year for a full review. :)

RickS
Marty agree, I was not expecting that either. I was expecting to see the results of a frozen cement block force fed into the auger. That would not have been good. I don't think much would have been left if the blower tried to eat a cement block. Rick........

Burntime
Some who have been to my house know my drive is cut up thru a hill. I have stacked boulders (some as large as a car hood) on each side of the drive. Last year while full speed and 2 inches of snow I hit an ice patch... Needless to say when I hit I spun and almost flipped the tractor on its side when it got traction. I tore the blower open in a similiar fashion. I took a big hammer and my torch set and was supprised how close I got it. Next I clamped it with a big wide vise grips and tacked it. Finally welded up the crack and ground it. Well, then rewelded and reground:D When I was done it was almost unnoticable. Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes not. Just from the pics it does not look too bad if you have a torch, welder, and some paint...Good luck!

Michiganmobileman
Sorry to disappoint you guys expecting more, as I said it could of been worsedOd, and I don't want to try it the other direction. I knew it was there when I went past it just got that much too close coming back. Ill blame it on the cab;). midnightpumpkin got a picture of that? Tim the shiny blower is not as shiny as it was last fall, heck of a time with gravel this year.

I will take it back apart as I want to see what its like between the two metals and need to add some extra fasteners when it goes back together. John B...see below:D JohnMBerst That looks like a great idea8D. I seen that and instantly thought why not run the brace past where the skids bolt ondOd. How thick is that piece? You don't have a patent on that do you?? and Burntime it sounds like you were awful lucky, guessing that you dont want to do that again;). Some of my welds so far, I had used up the rods I had and should be back at it this weekend.

I have gotten a little better at the welding as I go along, or so I think, but still have a steep learning curve aheaddz. Have decided that welding is like mudding drywall for me, put too much on, take too much off. Still needs a little more work but should be good when done. Greg

timflury
Greg, trust me, if you ever stop learning with your welder, then it's time to sell it. I have been welding here and there for about fifteen years now, and every time I "make puddles", I seem to absorb more good habits. The learning curve with a welder will never end. Gravel isn't very friendly inside a snowblower housing no matter what it is lined with. I was more concerned in regards to the performance of the blower as far as throwing distance was. Did it shoot further???

sammiefish
I think everyone gets little tears right there.. it seems to be a vulnerable spot... and once torn.. its weak there.. .i battle with little trouble there every year... and I DONT HIT ANYTHING.. : ) I like the "knives"... make those go all the way around and I think it would stiffen up the sides pretty good.

Michiganmobileman
I really cant say if the liner improved the performance at all, but will put it back in cause I think its neat!. The first several times it seemed to work better than last year but then after a while not so much. But the inside of the chute which I had sanded and put many coats of paint on and was smooth as a baby's behind before is all scuffed up from the gravel and feels pretty rough now. I think that may be the main difference and I will be looking into a SS chute before next year;):D. I agree on the "Knives" to reinforce that weak spot, I think JohnMberst deserves an atta-boy and a pat on the back for the ideadOd. Greg

JohnMBerst
No back pats here. Just old semi-literate sheet metal worker. Since I have the contour layed out, will see what I can do with adding a lower portion to the bottom and use the skid plate holes to help mount. Thinking the bottom height could be just above the skid top. Should have thought of that, but that's why we post stuff for ideas. Might be a bit, but will get some made and post photos. They were out of 3/16 steel, using 5/16 bolts to mount on front. I enjoy "trying" to make stuff a bit better. Most of the time because I bend / broke it....:O

Sign in to follow this