Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Thinking of making

john-holcomb

I would be interested in the rear/front RBT ball hitch depending on the price. Don't have my money at the moment just got all my books for next semester. They were expensive. [[XX(]

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• john-holcomb

• hotrodtractor

• RickS

• captainweezy

John, Will these fit without any modifications on the back of a 7100 series. I know you stated that they won't work on the front, but what about the rear? thanks Rick.......

quote:
Originally posted by PhanDad
I agree with the others. John does top quality work, I have both his mid mount grader blade hitch and ball hitches. As others have stated, the front/back combo hitch only works on FDT with the exposed front axle. As to the rear only style hitch, when installed on a 7100 series tractors with hydro transmission, one of the uprights interfered with the rear hitch and prevented mounting. A torch cut eliminated the interference for me. John, any thoughts to producing a front hitch for the 7100 series tractors. It would be similar to the one (#686) shown in the following post: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=110395&SearchTerms=hitch It would be great if one hitch could be made to fit both 7000 and 7100 series tractors (not sure if the frame holes are the same).

Thanks Maynard, I guess I should have reread the thread more carefully. I don't have a torch, but a grinder should take care of the problem. Thanks again. Rick..........

• 2 weeks later...
I am currently working on the pricing and should have prices to publish sometime next week. Thanks for all the intrest and a little more feed back please. It appears that I can take a FDT front and rear hitch and make it function on RBT with either a bolt on or weld on adaptor. which would make the most sense to you guys? Thanks John

I just bought a powermax. Right now it has a snowblower on the front and a three point hitch on the back. I'm new to tractors, and I'd be glad to acquire a hitch for each end. (Id also love to loose the 52" snowblower.)

John, When you state a bolt on or weld on adaptor for the hitch; I assume you mean on the hitch and not the tractor. I don't have a preference, but I think you might. If you make the adaptor bolt on, then you could sell the hitch either way with no real changes or effort on your part. Again I am interested in a hitch (front and rear) for a 7100 series - sovereign. thanks Rick........

John, I would do it the most cost effective and easiest way. If your originals can be tweaked a little, then why not just build them the same as always and modify? Keep on truckin and thanks for the updates.

Good news, As many of you are aware the front rear hitch does not work on the RBT's due to the longer frame of the tractor. This hitch need to mount on the axle since it floats with the hitch points, so you cannot mount on the hitch points and the frame. Hope that makes sense. However the hitch does mount on the axle of the RBT's just fine inside the sheet metal, the ball is just to close to the frame to use. So a hitch with an extended tongue will work on both. I will shortly be pricing not only the standard unit but also the extended tongue unit.

There is also MFG. #686 ball hitch shown in the attached file for the RBT. Might need to be slightly different for the various series of RBT due to differences in front frame thickness, width, and height. I recall that Roy had made of copy of this style of hitch. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCBEN8cuK0rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq But then again, there are differences in the distance from the front axle to the front of the frame on the various models of RBT that might need to be considered using a design that attaches to the front axle attachment points.

I'd be interested in one for front and back. I have a 916/7116 (and 919), so take that into account. I have to take my trailer down a hill periodically, and I don't relish being in front of it should it get the best of me (traction conditions vary) and going down backwards is a pain. Cheers!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
if at least 20 people want these we may be able to convince John to run another batch :)..... chime in if your serious

• 2 months later...
Yes I am very interested. But has anyone heard from John? Last time John was logged in was April 12th or so. Since John first posted this and people expressed interested, we have not heard from John. Rick..........