Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tires, tires, and more tires...

Burntime

I just picked up a new titan tru power 26 x 12 x 12 tire. I am having a memory lapse. Will it fit on the standard 10.5 inch sovereign rim?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Burntime

• hotrodtractor

• RayS

• HubbardRA

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There you go Mike, a new welding project. Make yourself a set of 12 inch wide wheels. Just cut the rim off one side, make a band whatever width you want, and weld it in. I have made a couple sets myself.

The standard 7100's are 10.5 right? If thats the case how do they look mounted on that rim? Are they decent looking and flat or do they crown? Again its a 26 x 12 x 12

I'm guessing the new 7100 will have a 8.5" lip to lip rim on a standard 10.5 tire. The older Simplicity with narrower tires had a 7" lip to lip standard. HubbardRa is the man to ask for this project hes got experience. I found this web sit of a guy that will cut and weld expanded wheels. http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/wheels.htm I think hes dealing with Cub rims, there offset on some model may be different but the rim sizes other wise should match. I like the 33 3/8" length of steel need to get the circumference is great information. Plus the 12 or 13 gage steel for thickness is great info. On my new 23x10.5x12 ag lugs I think they have 8.5 lip to lip wide rims. I have no need to break it down. But from the outside it looks to be wider than any 7" lip to lip. And they look great. This guy advises a 11" lip to lip for a 10.5 tire. I think that is preferred but a little extrema. It would be very difficult to ever mount a smaller tire on the rim that wide. Just my opinion.

The 7100 tractors have 7" rims. Some older tractors like my Homelite T-12 have 8" rims. Both stock from the factory. They are different part numbers. I have new turf master 23x10.5-12 mounted on each. The tires are definitely "flatter" on the wider Homelite rims.

I guess I am missing it then... What does the 10.5 mean? 23.5 is the height, 10.5 is the width, and 12 is the rim I thought...

Makes sense. I talked to Adam, the guy on the link and he told me I would want to go 11-12 inchs to get a flat tread. Hmmm, need to check the offset or space them to get an idea of the width. I may end up selling it and picking up a narrower set. You can tell spring is here. Everyone wants to start playing! I may try widening them myself... As long as I can keep them relatively straight it should not be an issue... I am sure I will come across an extra set of rims:D:D:D

Burntime: if you can find some with a slip roller its a lot easier to get a good weld. Most heating and cooling guys with a tin fabrication might roll a light gage steel. I have a guy that works at the local new steel distributor has a slip roller at home and has rolled more than a few peaces for me. Its just my opinion that if you find a 8.5 wide rim (more common in today's tractors) you will do just fine with a 10.5 wide tire. Better yet if you can fit the 26" tall tire under the finders I think it would be sweet. I have a spear set of rims right now that I just painted and I am thinking of taking them from a 7" L-to-L to 10.5 L-to-L. And find some 26x12x12 or may be 23x12x12s. But right now I'm a little tire heavy. Offset, if I recall most Simplicity's have about a 1.5" offset. My older Wheel horse have like a 3+" offset. Some John Deere us a big off set as well. To check you off set take a straight edge across the total height of the tire and measure from the straight edge to the bolt pattern mount. Do this on both sides of the tire, (inside and outside) I think the air inlet stem is the usually the smaller or less offset side. Have a friend that was always worried about rolling over. I told him to turn around the rims and gain 3" in tractor tire width. He did and he said he felt safer. I don't know if it mental or he could really tell when on a hills. But he thanks me every time he sees me for the advice.

I found a set of 10" wide rims and drilled the four spot welds out that hold the mounting flange in the rim. Then I moved the offset to where I wanted it. It is set at 2-1/4" offset. That is what they are on a set I measured. Then I welded the four holes shut in the rims.

Ray, I do not have a way to roll the stock to match the rim... Do you think it can be done neatly without the roller?

Buy these or ones simular. Then move the center piece where you want it as I described. Then you won`t have to widen the rim. Just move the offset. http://cgi.ebay.com/12-12x10-5-5x4-5-Riding-Lawn-Mower-Equipment-RIM-Wheel-/390274194916?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ade279de4

I saw that, it does not even looked welded. The ofset would be a huge pain to redo I think? Looks like its a stamped dimple and not welded???

quote:
I just picked up a new titan tru power 26 x 12 x 12 tire. I am having a memory lapse. Will it fit on the standard 10.5 inch sovereign rim?
what do you mean you just picked one up? You just decided to buy the tire without having rims? Just saw a good deal and had to have it?

Yep, pretty much. It was brand new on a legacy rim I think... Just one lonely one...sm00 Oh, its on a legacy rim too I believe...

I can actually get all the work done on a set of my rims for 130. Widen, and change the offset so does not make sense to buy the ones listed. Its one of those things where I almost want to do it myself so that its another knotch on the belt so to speak. Gonna have to see...

Just quick measuring I think the rim that it is on is a 9.5 inch wide rim. Here are some pics. I do not know if I need to widen it out a little more or not. The rim its on is a legacy rim, I would widen some sovereign rims... I also have a new set of turfs for the front wheels, just need to put them on. I am going to do the thrust washer mod and paint all the rims grey. Let me know what you guys think?

What is the offset on that rim you have and how much would just a new rim be through Simplicity? Here is a Legacy parts manual. Not sure if it is the correct one but they list the rims. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=fmlowHX.SFzXFix2