Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16 hp kohler backfiring on 716 hydro

csciara

k341, alot of black smoke when running, on start up if it does not keep running at first it floods so i have to remove the plug then i hit it with a torch which dries it and heats then it fires right up but backfires and sputters i would think too much gas like a stuck choke but if i push the choke all the way in it backfires worse, I adjust the carb all sorts of ways I adjusted the points from .020 to .018 that helped some so then i think its the spark one question i have is with a coil i understand it to be either it works or it does not, do they get weak is this the problem or is it a fuel problem

proscess of elimation first replace the spark plug with a known good one and restart.If you have good spark the next step is to check fuel supply (black smoke indicates a rich fuel to air mix)ae stuck carb needle or saturated carb float,also adjust all fuel to air needles to basic one & one half turns out from seat it is best to eliminate these before going further.

Sounds like the float is hanging up. I would pull the carb and give it a good cleaning ,then readjust the needles. Put it back on and give her a try

The carb neutral adjustments for Kohler are not 1.5 off seat. For a Kohler Carb it is 2.5 idle and 3.5 High speed. for a Walbro it is 1 turn off seat. There is no reason for these to turn on their own, however better safe than sorry. I would also agree with Robob sounds like fuel delivery. Start there and the move on to the spark.

I learned that gas-fouled autolite plugs generally stay that way even after they cleaned and dryed out. Switch brands if there is an autolite in your machine. Will elimnate one variable.