Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

lug nuts

mroman59

Anyone think about trying to thread in bolts from the backside of the rear axle and then find lug nuts that will thread on to mount the rims on these Simplicity tractors? That way one can switch tires from lawn vs snow tires, etc. like on a car. Since I don't use chains for plowing snow, I thought that set up would be easier for switching tires back and forth. Is this even possible. I have a 7117H and a 6216.

You need 7/16 UNF lugs that are at least 3/8 inch longer than the stock bolts to do this. Yes, I have done it on two different tractors. First time was about 25 years ago on a pulling tractor. The lug nuts to use are off a late 60 or early 70s Chevy. I get mine at a local speed shop. As I said above, 7/16 fine thread. If you are just interested in making it easier to change tires, then just get one long fine threaded bolt and cut the head off. You can screw this into one hole with your fingers. Then you can place one hole in the wheel over this bolt and easily rotate the wheel till the other bolts will screw into the hub. Lastly, remove the bolt and replace it with a wheel lug bolt. Save this special bolt for the next wheel change.

I used 7/16" threaded rod and cut it into short lengths on two of my tractors. The reason I went that route because I wanted to use chrome lug nuts to dress it up a little. The threaded rod/studs protrudes out the back side of the wheel flange enough so I can use a lock washer and nut on each one. I think the chrome lug nuts look cool and yes, it does make it easier to mount the wheels.

I have also installed studs by using bolts on several of my Sovereigns. You can get the lug nuts at AutoZone or most any auto parts store such as NAPA or CarQuest. The bolts can be obtained from McMaster-Carr.