Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Differential Hub & Gear Roll Pins

laytonlight

I placed an ad in the parts wanted for this, because I'm not sure it can be repaired. I had the roll pins shear that hold the differential gear to the hub on the Mutt 2010. It appears that the PO had the same thing happen, and rather than get the old pins out, he drilled new holes. This would be OK if he had drilled them spaced away from the previous holes, but they are right next to the old ones. XX( One or two of them have even broken through. A couple of thoughts/questions. If I am able to get the old pins out and use those holes, can I go with one less pin in the one that has broken through and be OK? Anyone have any ideas on getting the old pins out of the hub? I also saw a previous post where someone suggested the setup could be beefed up by inserting a second, smaller roll pin inside of each existing roll pin. Anyone done that?

What kind of rear hub do you need? I have the complete vari-shift rear end from my B-112 -> HB-112 conversion it may have the hub you need. Brandon

I just performed the new hole drilling operation on my LL to put new pins in(the third set of pins it has had). When the axle tube went it torqued the gear out of position}:). Measure twice cut once leaves a good hub but apparently they can be done wrong. I may have a spare if you are willing to drill new holes in it or have me do it since the stock holes warped into cones. There are certain machine shops that can fill with plasma and recut the holes for decent prices. Not sure in your area but I have a couple here that amaze me with how cheap they are, like building crankshaft journals on multi cylinder engines for $50 bucks|)

I always tap a smaller roll pin inside the larger one,I have never had a beefed up one shear. I couldn't tell you if that's the reason or just luck. you'll need to use your own judgement.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to pull the hub off and clean it up and take it by a local machine shop & see if they can do anything with it. Elson at loop 70 Auto Parts has been around a bit & if it can be fixed, he'll probably be able to do it. Josh, when I pull it later this week and clean it up, I'll post some pictures.

• 6 months later...
Willy, I had the drive hub off my Big Ten last year when I had to replace the axle tube. Before I put it back on I noticed the gear was starting to work it's way off a bit. I tapped it back on and put smaller roll pins inside the ones already there.I had to hit some of them pretty hard as they were a tad to tight. Now the rest of the story ! A few weeks ago when I turned short mowing I heard a snap in the Diff. After taking the diff hub off I found that the gear had split in half and one tooth was broken too. Long story short, don't drive to large of roll pins in there.

Hi, My 10hp Landlord came from the factory with small pins inside the large ones. I used to drill the hubs on the outside and use a pin punch to drive out the pieces. A 7/32 hole drilled just inside the outer edge of the roll pin will allow a 3/16 pin punch to drive the pin out. Al Eden