Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Well, the hole in the deck

Burntime

Is no more! I really like the new welder! Not perfect but a sanding disc and some paint will purdy it up! It started the size of a dime and as soon as I hit it, it got to almost a quarter. Just filled it in and ground it quick.:D

Miller 211 with a bottle. Also a lincoln ac/dc stick welder. I really don't use the stick much anymore. Maybe welding on a trailer or something is about it. I just picked up some thin wire. Going to see if I can weld my buddies rocker panels on. Well see:D

You CAN weld thin metal with a MIG welder. It is difficult, but take your time and use short bursts with the trigger. Stay on the trigger too long and you will burn holes. Tack each end of the weld area and weld at random places along the line to keep warping at a minimum.;) By the way Mike, Gary has plenty of mower decks in his shed.

Yep, he picked up a few of my good ones. I think I have a spare 42 and 48 in my back garage, as well as a 42 or so from a 5200 or 6200. Funny how they accumulate:D

Clamp a flat piece of brass under that hole, you will be surprised how much easier to fill. Coppe rshould work also, the thicker the better for either one.

quote:
Originally posted by acken
Clamp a flat piece of brass under that hole, you will be surprised how much easier to fill. Copper should work also, the thicker the better for either one.
I use brass stock to repair key slots in shafts. I've repaired some REAL bad ones. Just use brass stock the thickness of your key and clamp it in place. Then "weld" it in place. Beat it out when you're done, grind down the weld, file and sand it, and you should have a nice clean key slot. Try it!

quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
Going to see if I can weld my buddies rocker panels on. Well see:D
back when I worked in a restoration shop, the key was to lightly tack it about every 8-12 inches with the first pass and then check again for alignment, then go back and stitch a 3/8" to 1/2" long section and move about a foot down and do another. It keeps the joint from warping. Another nice thing is to have someone with an air gun that can cool the joint you just did while you move to the next one. Just don't have them point the air gun towards where you are welding OO A zinc rich weld-though primer is a good thing, just remember to use a resperator when welding it. Also, don't use a flux core wire, it can promote future rust development. You shouldn't need it anyway because you cleaned the metal perfectly, right?? sm06