Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

mystery garden tractors....

mike_sdak

Here are two garden tractors for the experts out there. I have an idea on the "Cenex" tractor. But as to the orange and white? Gilson? Is either of these any good?

The second one is Montgomery Wards. Very heavy built. shaft drive back to a gearbox. The only downfall I had with mine is the variable speed needs attention to keep it working and once it wears out a B series deck pulley fits right in to make it a straight 4 speed. (it should have a creaper gear) Pretty decent tractor. Never seen one with rear tiller so I can't speak for that but it looks pretty well equiped. I didnt have all the pto parts for the front or deck so all I ever did was pull a disk and drag with mine. Got it free, ran it hard 3 years then transplanted the 15 hp briggs into my B12 :D Also if your looking to transplant that briggs, you need an oil pan, in that tractor it is part of the frame

The first one is a MTD. Check the link below. looks like a decent tractor! I wonder why they strayed away to the flimsy stuff they have been mass producing for the past 20 years. http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=81051

Like RayS stated the first one is by MTD. its a 998, sort of like a spin off from the famous 990 garden tractors MTD made. if im not mistaken, that's a a live pto in the middle of the front axle.

The orange and white one looks like the Gilson G-16 I used to have. Gilson did build quite a few of the Montgomer Ward tractors but they were blue or yellow with white. Very heavy machine and the engine can be transplanted into a Simplicity but you have to use your old oil pan as the gilson pan is part of the front axle.

Those old Gilsons also used a SEALED Vickers hydro unit that you couldn't even add hydraulic fluid to... much less find parts to fix. I parted one out because of that. Too bad, because cosmetically it was a good looking, heavy duty tractor!

i have parted out many of the gilson/wards. the hydro lift on the gilson is worth more than the tractor. engines make good doners. the tiller is driven by a long shaft that runs off the front. tiller's worth $. i see lots of good parts . and they are a pain to work on. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GilsonCollectors/

The first tractor is painted like my Yardman 16 which as stated is an updated 990 MTD.Also have a White 2055 which is just like the Yardman 16 but came with a 20HP Vanguard Briggs engine.Both have 3pt hitch and its a much better Cat 0 3pt than the 990 models had.

I have a Gilson that looks just like that one! Still snowblow and sometimes mow with it. and it has been mowing and snowblowing from 1970 there are many many hours on it!

I passed on these two- I don't really need the hassle right now. If any of you are interested, he is asking 1000 for the Cenex-mtd, and 500 for the Gilson-wards. Both apparently have blowers with them. http://nd.craigslist.org/grd/2264707608.html