Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New to it all

Akchevyman

Well like the title implies I am new here I just bought my first classic Tractor. It is a Simplicity 616 Yeoman. I think it is in really good original shape. I will have question I am sure and I am glad I found this site. I Know everyone likes pictures and I took just a few today. Here are the links. Also if anyone can tell me what year it is that would be great. Edit Non paying users are not allowed to post pictures or links to personel pictures

Welcome, Phillip (Do you prefer Phil?). I think you'll find it to be the best $10.00 you ever spent. The only thing I can think of that's comparable is the purchase of my Carhartt Coveralls. ^ It's almost like having an expert mechanic living next door and wandering over to peek under the hood of what you're working on.

I answer to anything Phil, Philip, Hey you. Yeah I will join the club soon. i have a car show to go to this weekend so need to save my pennies. I like my little tractor so far. I had to replace fuel line and change out the rear end gear oil and did an oil change. Glad I did both the rear oil looked to be original. I do have a question the plug behind the hitch plate on the rear end is that suppose to be plastic? If not I will go find a metal plug to put in there. Also how much gear oil is that thing suppose to hold? I put in a whole quart and didn't fill it up.

Phil, All the plugs I've seen on all the smaller Simplicites were plastic. I believe the fill line to is to the bottom of that rear plug hole. Welcome to the club! Great place! Kris

quote:
Originally posted by laytonlight
Welcome, Phillip (Do you prefer Phil?). I think you'll find it to be the best $10.00 you ever spent. The only thing I can think of that's comparable is the purchase of my Carhartt Coveralls. ^ It's almost like having an expert mechanic living next door and wandering over to peek under the hood of what you're working on.
Well I spent the $10 to join, but I STILL haven't gotten my Carhart coveralls. Just got a new pair of Carhart jeans, tho. WELL spent $10. Welcome to the club.

Welcome guys.
quote:
Originally posted by KSever
Phil, All the plugs I've seen on all the smaller Simplicites were plastic. I believe the fill line to is to the bottom of that rear plug hole. Welcome to the club! Great place! Kris
The 616 would be '67 vintage. Only if the engine is the original one, yes, the first two letters of the code will give you a model year. Yes, the fill/check plug is the plastic one that you access through the rear hitch. Capacity is one quart. http://www.simpletractors.com/service/lube_pg1..htm

Well Been working on the 616 today I think my starter is bad does anyone know of someone that has a refurbished one or a rebuild kit thanks in advance and have a great day.

Philip, Any good electrical shop that deals with alternators and car starters should be able to rebuild it. Or you could place an add in the classified section and maybe another member will have one. I know my local simplicity dealer has a lot of older machines they uses for parts. So you try your local dealer, maybe you will get lucky. When my local dealer couldn't supply the part, they did recommend a good shop that could rebuild my starter. Rick........

Starter?? Or starter/generator. Belt drive, starter/generator. Gear drive, starter. I second what Rick says. There is a section on the site here on testing of a S/G. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_articles.asp?catid=30&cattitle=Electrical

616 should have a gear starter and I fill my rearens till they start to come out the hole on back of transmission.If you need a new srarter you should be able to find a used one pretty reasonable.

I will find a good starter place in the next week. The only thing that may become a problem is that the starter is a 110V A/C not 12V DC so we shall see.

• 1 year later...
Hello I hae a allison 74 616.onan engine the starter just clicks at times then when it does engage it sounds like the gears aren't meshing properly I removed the belly pan can't see the starter how do I get to it to check it or replace it? Thanks

Welcome! I have a 627 with pull start, and love that little thing for mowing. Very simple, reliable machine...cuts great, and turns on a dime.