Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Homelite T-12 update

rfsmith1952

This topic was originally on the show n tell forum, but I though I'd update it on this forum. I picked up a Homelite T-12 based on a tip from JimD in western PA. It's a Vickers hydro and the back wheels are locked. I did repair the generator (re-solder internal connections)and the old girl did light up and attempt to turn over. Battery is shot. Next I will change the oil, which smells bad of gasoline, get a new plug, and a battery. Here's some pix:

Suggest installing a fuel shutoff valve (only a couple bucks) between the fuel filter and carb. That way when you shut off the engine you can close the shutoff valve which will keep gas from draining down into the engine. You can also get 12v electric ones and wire them to the ignition circuit if you don't want to have to remember to open and close the valve manually.

Thanks Scott. The t-10 has a gas shut off. I see you have an Allis 16. What model Allis would this Homelite T-12 match up with?

I honestly don't know on a variable hydraulic. I think they lock when there is no hydraulic pressure to move them. There is a lever to put the transaxle in neutral so the wheels will move without the engine running, and that is set to neutral, but the wheels are still locked. I know about zilch on this drive system. I still need to get it running first. Then jack up one rear wheel and see what happens, if it is still locked, then jack up the other side and hope that one spins. I think something is broke in there and hanging things up. There is no gear shift lever, no gears so the bent screw driver trick doesn't apply. We'll see. Stay tuned!

rf, The trans / rearend lock is not fully disengaged. It may feel like it but it probably is not. I see the lever is in the left position. Rock the travtor back and forth and while doing that push the lever to the left. I have two of these in teh T-16H and the second one I bought was stuck in lock position when I got it home. It took me a little time and muscle but I did get it. Check the rear end to see if there is any gear lube in it. If it is dry put some new in and try that. Somewhere I have an exploded view of the rearend of that tractor. I will look for it and get back to you. It looks like a good tractor one you should put some time and effort in to. What did you have to give for it?

Roger, It was free. I did pay the guy a hundred to deliver it. I was told the engine runs, and I believe it will fit in my T-10, so that's something. Mostly, JimDK and I were afraid the guy would scrap it, so me being closest, I took it. Keeping it and restoring are two questions I haven't answered yet. I will get the engine running before moving on to keeping it or letting it go.

That is great news about saving it from scrap. I eventually want to have all the Homelite T series tractors. Have a line on a running T-8 , non running T-10, Making an offer on a non running T-12 next week and looking for a T-15 to go with my two T-16 H. All these have motors that are free and turn over. Most expensive one is $175.00. I have a friend who is retired and wants to help restoring some and has offered to buy them for us to work on. I found the page on the trans / rearend do you need it? Keep on saving the old iron.

• 2 months later...
Do you have an update on this? I also just picked up a homelite t12. Had to play with the motor to get it running and it ended up being the coil. Now that I got it running it won't move. I can push the mower myself and it feels like it is in gear but it will not move under the power of the motor.

quote:
Originally posted by freelancenoob
Do you have an update on this? I also just picked up a homelite t12. Had to play with the motor to get it running and it ended up being the coil. Now that I got it running it won't move. I can push the mower myself and it feels like it is in gear but it will not move under the power of the motor.
make sure the lever to engage it in neutral is in the proper position. lever is located right side of rear hitch. should be push over to the left lock position. also check fluid in filter reservoir

quote:
Originally posted by rfsmith1952
Thanks Scott. The t-10 has a gas shut off. I see you have an Allis 16. What model Allis would this Homelite T-12 match up with?
not picking on rfsmith but to any or all I will finally have to ask? This type of engine and carb has a 4" uphill climb to finally get into the intake port. The carb also has a bronze filter in the bottom that (on my engines) drips gas out like crazy if the bowl leaks and any fuel settles on the bottom run of the carb. How does the gas get in the oil due to fuel supply shut off problems?

The update is: I put a tarp on it till fall. Mine runs and moves but not with any power. I don't know how gas gets in the oil. I do know it won't if you shut the fuel off. Probably something to do with fluids seeking their own level, which would be the level of fuel in the gas tank. There is another post I made after I got it running, find that one, and you'll see pix of the neutral switch, and how it should be. Mine is stuck in the neutral position, but the tractor will move, so I believe this switch is part of what's wrong with mine. You may pick on me all you want, just don't assume I know a whole lot, cuz I don't. Start a new topic, and the wizards on this site will guide you as they have me.

Bob, does your nuetral switch have a hex head on it? On my T-16 H I can put a rod in it to put it in nuetral or run position, however it is shaped so that a Wrench can be placed on it to turn it to the position you want. I have another that is very fineky and it has to be just right to get it to lock in run or nuetral position. Hope this helps.Roger

Tnx Roger, I'll check. The lever is in the neutral position, but the tractor still moves when you advance the forward/reverse lever. But you cannot push the tractor when it's not running. So that leads me to believe the transaxle is in drive, even though the lever is in the neutral position. This is my first summer of retirement, so I'm spending more time working on house and yard projects than tractors. I'm looking forward (with the help of the wizards in thsi club) to solving the T-12 mystery @freelance: Here's the link to the weak hydro thread: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=116332 here's a link to video of the T-12 moving. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prCq4hhvGtY