Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign - what year? Fair price ??

dlkelley713

Hey Folks, new user, 1st time poster. I'm going to look at a for-sale Simplicity Sovereign 1692143 Serial# 2733, with an 18hp Kohler Command twin with hydrostatic trans and hydraulic rear lift. It comes with 2 decks in good working condition (42 and 48 inch). Engine serial# indicates a 1993 engine, but seller thought the mower was mid-late 80s. My guess is that it's a bit younger than he thinks. My questions are: What years was the 1692143 made?, and is $900 a fair price for the tractor. It looks (from pictures) to be in very clean shape, and he claims that everthing works as it should. Are there any known issues with this tractor or hydro? Also, what kind of hitch / lift is that, and is it compatible with other brand 3-point garden tractor implements? (I can't really tell from the rear-end photo). I have a sleeve hitch box scraper that I'd like to convert for use if I buy the Simplicity. Thanks for any assistance! Dan

if its got the command engine its around the late 80s early 90s check and see if it has powersteering thats a plus the hydro and lift are great and very strong, it can use a tiller,snowblower,front blade,or if your a good fab guy the skys the limit :D

No power steering, but I can live without that... for now. I pulled the trigger and got the tractor and 36" tiller for 1100. The tractor is in pretty good shape. A dink here and there and a scuffed decal here and there. He had inherited it in '07 and had only mowed with it, although he put the tiller on it a few days ago to test it. The tiller was actually older and was never used on this tractor. I need to make sure he had the belt on correctly, but the bottom of the belt was contacting the hydro filter... If all was installed correctly, I'll have to do something about that quickly. The only other 'strange' issue was the lift just quit lifting a couple of times when I was playing with it after I got it home. It would consistently go down or stop, but absolutely nothing when trying to lift the tiller. In both cases, it worked perfectly a minute later (after shutting off and restarting the engine). When it works (all except for those two times), it is smooth and quiet, as if there's nothing functionally wrong at all. I don't know much about hydraulics, but if it were electric, I'd think a switch wasn't closing. Any experiences are appreciated! Dan

Congatulations Was this the one in Calhoun, GA? I'm glad someone who would enjoy it got it. There are very few who recognize the quality of a Simplicity here in Georgia. There is a idler kit for the tiller belt that will keep it off the filter. I don't know the number but someone here will post it soon. For all practical purposes, that is the ultimate Simplicity tractor Enjoy, Randy

Yes Randy, this was the one in Calhoun. I'm looking forward to playing in dirt with this thing. One of my first items of business will be to build a sleeve hitch adapter for it for my box scraper. Thanks for the info on the idler pulley. Hopefully someone can point me to the correct part. Thanks, Dan

Dan, Your hydraulic lift problem may be caused by the oil level being a little low. If your Sov. is the same as mine, there is a 3/8 pipe at the bottem rear of the transaxle. Oil level should be near the top. Dexron or equivlant will work.

Yep, when I changed the rear end out on my sovereign it did the exact same thing, when I opened it up to dump I noticed it was low. Once filled up it ran like silk!

Changing the fluid and filter is on my very short list... I've been out cleaning and adjusting this afternoon. I found that the lift lever was very loose where it comes through the frame. It was slipping quite a bit before moving the link... I'm thinking that might have been my problem, as I haven't been able to make it happen again since... I think this thread has lived it's life, so when (not "if") I have more questions, I'll just post in a new thread. I already have a discussion point or two where I'd like some opinions... Thanks again. I'm looking forward to learning a lot about my new "toy". Dan

The idler for avoiding the hydro filter is mfg#1685225, Rear PTO Drive Kit. It's main components are a bracket, part#1671233 and idler pulley, part#1657712. Put the mfg# in at the top right of the club home page and you can download the installation instructions/parts list.

The sleeve hitch is a pretty simple make for these. I know there are a lot of posts on it here in the past, if you can't find one I can take a pic of mine and give you some basic #'s

Thanks MPH. I've already pulled the specs (off this forum) for the sleeve hitch. Just a matter of getting the steel. The plate steel shouldn't be too hard to find, but I'm not sure about the pipe for the pin. Anyone done here built one, and what did you use? Thanks, Dan