Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What am I missing?? L.L. rides again.

MPH

My faithful '64 has been getting worse and worse at spinning the left tire only, so, figuring my Firestones and 87 LBs of wt overloaded the differential's ablitiy again I pulled it apart tonight and see nothing wrong, all keys are tight and in place, axle didn't slip sideways gear appears to be on tight, maybe I'll put some channel locks on it in the morning. It is the newer type differ. with the spring loaded gears and I don't recall if i put washers in it or not when I put it on. Any ideas?? Got the diff torn apart today to add washers if I hadn't before and found this

Hope Brenda has these around. A thank you to SLI and esp. Brenda for her quick service and deliverly of my springs. They were waiting for me thursday nite when I got home from Anchorage/Fairbanks.

sounds like you are already aware... additional washers on the transmission side will increase the incidence of gears locking... too little shim.. no lock... too much .. locked all the time...

Too bad the newer stuff did not have the bolt to tighten. I changed out my rear end on my 17gthl and the difference in the rear end was night and day! I had one wheel wonder. Now it does worlds better! I was always going to shim the differential but do not think its needed now. Amazing the difference when its working properly!

You're missing a Hi-Low drive, only because I'm still missing the bag of parts..... I second the shimming idea on the diff.

Marty, I'll have to see if I have some springs or if you want I can take a whole diff off one of the spare trannys around here and then you'll have some spare parts too... BTW, look at what I finally found... These parts look a lot cleaner than the ones you posted pics of, wonder why that is?? These must be 50 years old or so, still unused as is the rest of that unit. I feel bad sending you an untested unit that you may have no use for... lol!! I need you to PM me your address again as I think that one got deleted somehow.

Sorry but I don't have any installation instructions for it, think you can figure out how it goes?

Here's the installation/operating instructions for the Hi-Low: http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/high-low/high-low.htm

Thanks Kirk. Sure would't hurt me non to have a complete spare around as hard on them diff. as I seem to be. Really starting to think I have too much traction on the LL, this is the third time since I made the wts and put the firestones on. I do have springs on the way from SLI. Should be here when I get home from a doc appointment in Anch and a long way home through Fairbanks to meet up with Gene. Gotta love Brenda's work habits and additude. Was gonna say if I need help installing that hi/low I know where to come, THANKS Kent, I didn't need to ask.

Marty, It looks like you have washers on the bolts. If you use spacer washers they must have a large enough hole to slide over the sleeve inside the springs so that they put more compression on the spring or they are of no help at all. I don't understand what could have broken the springs. Even with the high amount of weight you have on each wheel, the diff should still slip if required and not break the springs.

Just my 2 cents worth on the diff springs. I shimmed mine last weekend. As most have discovered, you can't buy a washer at home depot that will work without some modification. As Rod stated above, the washer has to slide over the sleeve, so you need a 5/8 inner diameter. The outer diameter has to be thin enough not to bump into the adjacent pinion (about 7/8 outer diameter). I initially tried to use 5/8 lock washers (grade 8) that I bent flat (and ground the outer diameter). I figured the extra thickness would be great for traction, plus there was less grinding due to the smaller outer diameter. Well, I couldn't get the case closed - the washers were too thick. I didn't realize just how much the springs collapse. I disassembled and used some 5/8 SAE grade 8 washers (again grinding down the outer diameter to about 7/8). This time it went together fine. I was impressed by how much my traction improved just by such a small change. The job was painfully slow due to all the washer grinding, but I'm very pleased with the results! Dan