Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Thoughts on hydraulic lift design?

dlkelley713

One thing that disappointed me about my new old Sovereign is the fact that the hydraulic lift can't supply downward pressure due to it's cable design. I've used my box scraper with a manual (deck) lift on my old pretend garden tractor, and I got a lot more done when I was able to push forward on the lift handle when necessary to dig in. (I was cutting a drive and removing some hilly spots in my yard.) One of the things on my short list is to build a single chisel plow to use before tilling virgin land. I'm thinking it would sure be nice to be able to get some downward pressure.. otherwise I'll need to set it up to accept some weight. I can see that it would be more dangerous for say... a tiller if it were pushed down too fast, but for most other implements, it would make sense to use force in both directions... What would be ideal would be a partial floating system that would have some degree of play, but the ability to push down once that play is exceeded. Any thoughts from you experienced folks there, and am I just expecting too much? Thanks, Dan

Scraping is one thing, plowing is another. For using something like a bottom plow, I.would never use pressure, as the pow is designed to pull itself into the ground, and work around obstacles. That being said, I cant imagine being without my rod type lift, and acheive a floating plow by using a chain to my implement. For dozers, etc, a lift rod rocks!

I use my rear "Dutch" blade on the Big Ten. I use a newer hitch with the link rod so I can get down pressure on the rear scraper blade. It works, but often I cut too deep, it grabs and the wheels spin. But in loose soil, mulch, stone it works great. So controling the depth of cut becomes the issue, not lack of downforce.

I knew I couldn't be the first to see the cable as a short-coming at times. I have to wonder if anyone here has fabricated a rod-type system for the Sovereign??? Dan

These smaller tractors are too light to use much down pressure. Your best bet is to weight the implement until desired depth is aquired. Then of you loose tractoin and lift the implement the added weight then transfers to the tractor for traction.