Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

what did I trip over ....

rokon2813

I just picked up a new A/C tiller unseen (the price was right) I got it home and started checking it out and I'm not sure what I got. It is 36" (38" to the ends of the shields) The lower mount is about 1/2" wider than normal and offset on one side. The upper mount is 1 1/8" instead of the standard 1" It has an extra hanger bracket on the lower mount. The tag says Outdoor Products with Allis Chalmers in small letters, and has the serial number but no model number... Any ideas ???

Could it be for the 300,400 AC's for those couple of years they were different than the Simplicitys. I think the lift size was one of the differences.

Could also be a for an A/C built Homelite, the rear spacing is different on them as well. A completely stock Homelite Tiller would have a rectangular lift bar rather than round. The Homelite tiller I got with my T-12 had a round lift bar to mate with the std rear lift bracket but the lower hitch bar had Homelite spacing.

Kinda looks like the hitch iron on the left side of the tiller {right side in pic} is shorter. If you were to clamp a square or flat iron across the round stock back on the hitch you could measure to center of holes. IF it is shorter someone likely put the bend in it for reasons who could guess. Tines sure don't show much wear.

No matter what color it is, it is a tiller for a 300/400 series A/C. I had the same thing and they are 1/2-3/4" wider at the bottom mount and the top is 1 1/8" rod.

Thanks Kris, I hoped someone with "hands-on" experience would see it sooner or later. Now I gotta figure out what to do with it, won't fit anything I got. Does anyone know if I can just swap out the bottom and top links for "regular" ones and use it? In other words, are the basic tillers the same just with different mounting hardware?

The tillers are the same just the hitch brackets are different to get past the government anti- trust laws at the time

It is from the 300 / 400 Series Allis-Chalmers models. The larger shaft was used prior to 1974 I think. The lower hitch is offset to accommodate the 300 / 400 hitch. The center bracket it a depth stop that hooks to the hole below the receiver hitch on the sleeve hitch setup. You as missing the chain and pin to set the depths. Brandon

Thanks Brandon, and everyone else. learn something new every day on here. I guess I have 3 options for it then; 1 sell it outright 2 find a parts tiller so I can convert it 3 find someone who has my parts and needs these and swap On the bright side, it has to be more rare than some of the other stuff and therefor well worth what I paid for it. :D

I had one with the 1 1/8" lift rod and the rear lift bracket etc. Sold it to a club member with a 300/400 series tractor.

All you need to use it would be to switch the top mount to a 1" diameter shaft and widen the hitch out on the bottom with spacers. I did this to a tiller of mine to fit my 916H. Brandon

quote:
Originally posted by ambler
I had one with the 1 1/8" lift rod and the rear lift bracket etc. Sold it to a club member with a 300/400 series tractor.
and its still working great... used it again this past weekend

• Who's Online (See full list)

• gwiseman
    • oldsarge
    • StanD
    • TheFlash300
    • Darl Swartz
    • Tarheel
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site maintenance scheduled to begin 10a CDT on 3/16/24
      · 0 replies
  • Adverts