Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Do you save it?

Chris727

I am repowering a 75th anny. Sovereign with a Command and am debating whether or not to save the original TH18 engine. It runs but poorly and needs a total rebuild. These engines are not worth fixing. I don't want to throw it away. I think these tractors are mainly collectible to guys like us who would want the repowered tractor anyway (knowing the reputation of the triad), but will it hurt the tractor's collectibilty not to come with the original engine? If it weren't the anniversary tractor I wouldn't worry about it. Thank You. Chris

A tractor isn't like a "Numbers matching" muscle car. Numbers matching cars are only as good as the restoration job on them anyway. Power it with what you see fit, with as few modifications as possible. Save all the parts and store them in a clean, dry place. Send the parts along with the tractor should you decide to sell and let the new owner decide what to do with the original parts.

I'm with tim, save 'em in a box to sell with the tractor incase someone wants to return it to oem 'just because'. When you re-power with a command can you use the oem muffler set-up?

Well, the muffler has already been modified to work on the Command. A command muffler was about $200... I don't have immediate plans to sell the tractor, I'd like to keep it for a long time. This tractor is far from cherry, probably had 1000+ hrs on it and the body shows it. It will be getting a new steering wheel, seat, decals, and needs the seat deck repaired. Chrome is still good on it. My problem is I'm very short on storage space..... So far, it sounds like you guys vote for me to keep it.

I vote keeping it together. Can offer it as original package to those who might want it, or if not, just toss. Can't think it would take up a ton of space.

i thought the story on these engines was that if you made past some # of hours you were good to go and the design of the engine was actually way good.... hmmm

I was kind of hoping you guys would say I should get rid of it. I have talked to Al Eden about the triad. This engine has an imbalance on the compression between the two cylinders and reads way too low. He stated that special tools are required to rebuild that even he might not have... Guys, if you saw my shed, you'd know how 'out of space' I am. I'm running out of "paths."

You want someone to say you should get rid of it I will :D There comes a time in even the most avid collectors life when its time to "clean house" :O You can only keep so much "stuff" till eventually it takes over }:) After a while you won't even miss it. It'll be nice to have some space to save different "stuff" }:) You plan on keeping the tractor anyway, do YOU want that old engine laying around....

well I now have two 75th's ... both have commands. I thought about it this way I bought the 75th like new maybe 20hrs tops. Pulled the perfect triad out swapped it with a command tractor and sold the other one with the triad. To me the running triad was worth $1500 as it would have costed that much to replace it. I would expect the tractor would be worth more with a command as the engine actually lasts.

Hi, Even the people that bought them new a lot have been converted to the Command. We early in the game sold our kits to Kohler for repowering them and later, Kohler decided the customer would have to pay for the kits and Kohler would stand only the engines for warranty. At this point Simplicity stepped forward to protect their customers when the engines failed paid for the kits and Kohler provided the engines for the warranty. We sold Simplicity the kits and shipped them directly to the dealers. I don't know how many we sold but probably over a couple to three hundred. There were 3500 tractors built with the TH engine. I don't see any value in keeping the TH engine. Al Eden

"This engine has an imbalance on the compression between the two cylinders and reads way too low. He stated that special tools are required to rebuild that even he might not have..." You answered your own question. It's only value is as scrap, and about as useful. If you can sell it, sell it and use the money towards another engine or parts. If not, get rid of it and be done with it.