Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vickers Hydro Surging

Tractorkid16

Yup. I have it all working now and i replaced the fluid and o rings and the whole 9 yards. It will surge everyonce in a while though. I am thinking i will need to replace the hoses. Or at least a few of them.

Sounds like a hose is sucking in air... I am no hydraulic expert but if it is ocasional it sounds like cavitation (sp) and if its intermittent the problem must be too...

OK. I will just leave it be for a bit but if the problem continues i will replace one of the hoses which i belive to be the problem spot.

Loose bolts at the BGB will cause surging. 4 bolts on my HB212 were loose where the frame bolts to the front of the BGB. If you had the Vickers out, I'm assuming all the side plate bolts are tight.

I dont know if this is a stupid question or not but what is the BGB. Also does anyone know how to lock the wheels on the tractor?

Sorry, it's the smaller front transmission the hooks to the engine by the driveshaft. There are two bevel gears inside that change the direction of the drive 90deg. That's why it is called the "Bevel Gear Box", and shortened to BGB for discussion purposes. There are 4 bolts that fasten the rear frame bulkhead to this gear box. You can tell if they are loose by placing a jack in the center of the tractor and taking a little upward strain. Watch the joint area closely for movement. It may not be much, but any movement is not good. Good luck, Jim