Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Now BIG TEN has no spark: frustrating

Louie_Bram

Well, I just fixed my rearend for my BIG TEN (had to take apart two broken ones to make one good one) After a day labor, I tried to start the machine and now it has no spark (it hadn't been started all winter). I tried to clean the points, change the plug etc. but still no spark. CHecked out the generator its fine, battery is fine. Machine ran fine prior to my rear end disaster. Quite frustrating. Anyway, any idea how or where to start with this new problem (machine is getting a little to much for me-spent three days already on it.) If anyone has a working Big ten in Iowa or southern minnesota I may be intersted in buying. I have a plow, a blower, a tiller, a deck but a tractor that Im about ready to scrap. Plus garden season is approaching.

I thought of that to. Is there anyway to convert this to 12 volt and use new parts. Im not so concerned with it being original I just want it to run. I also don't want to have to pull the engine just to get to the flywheel

Many folks have done the conversion; see: http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/magneto_to_coil.htm Many others have also replaced the points with a "megafire" (or equivalent) module.

Have you put a condenser on it? thats an easy and cheap thing to do and I consider it to be a maintenance item. With a bad condenser sometimes you can still feel alittle spark with your finger on the plug but it wont jump a plug gap.

Do the easy stuff first.Disconect the wire for the shut off switch . I did the coil conversion on a tractor as it is my snowblower tractor and needed it to run now. It starts easier but back fires a lot after.It is a lot easier to start and if it is just a work tractor go for it. Bob

I like the idea of using the Megafire approach. Which Megafire (I read that some use #1 some #2) and where can I buy it. (online or is it common at alot of small engine parts stores? I am kind of new to working on small engines. Thanks for all your help.

The Nova II and Mega Fire II are the same. I have one on my HB 212 for around 10 years without any issues. http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=mega+fire+II&_sacat=0&_sop=10&_odkw=megafire&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313 http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=nova+II+electronic+ignition&_sacat=0&_sop=10&_odkw=megafire&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

I couldnt get a megafire to work on my tractor at all and it was wired correctly. when I decided to rebuild that one I found the cam timing was a tooth off and maybe that caused it not to work

You said you looked at the points, but look again. This time just take the points cover off and see it you have spark. On more than a few occasions the cover can short out or pinch a wire and act like a kill wire. Also moisture is a possible grounding effect in a damp point box. Intermittent spark usually is something simple but hard to track down. Works one day and not the next its the points/points box or the switch.