Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
steve-wis

replacement engines

steve-wis
Just wondering, is there a bolt in replacement engine for the 616 yeoman? Would need to be 6 to 8 HP, pull start, and of course the proper crankshaft. Not worried about being able to pass as original, just looking for functionability. Do they make anything that anyone knows of? Steve

Chris727
I scored an NOS 6hp shortblock off ebay. They show up every now and then. When I bought mine there was a second one on eBay, I think Small Engine Warehouse had it. As for a new engine today, push mowers have 7hp, not sure a push mower engine would cut it for the Yeoman when running attachments.

HubbardRA
Push mowers use the blade as part of the flywheel weight. You need to find an engine from a vertical shaft tiller so that it has the heavy flywheel needed on the tractor. With a push mower engine you will have trouble keeping it running at low speeds and it will be easy to kill the engine when releasing the clutch. They also do not usually last too long because a heavy flywheel deadens a portion of the engine vibrations. With the lightweight push mower flywheel the vibrations are detrimental to the engine. This is why tractor and tiller engines have cast iron flywheels, while push mower engines, which always have a blade bolted to the crankshaft, have aluminum flywheels.

TomSchmit
Steve - You are going to have to go used, unless there is enough room at the front of the tractor to accomodate the extra length of the overhead valve design used on all new engine. For used .... Try an ad on the website, and any local shops. The shop in Menomonee Falls where you got your hi-lo unit (Nelson Bros, 262-781-2015) might have one. Tom