Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

repowering a 3416

anytractorman

I have been looking around for a thread on repowering a 3416 w/a vanguard v twin 16hp without much luck. Anyone done this? I picked one up fairly cheap $200.00 and the thought behind it was putting it in the 3416. model 303447 type 1379-E1 code 99031811
[img][/img]

[img]/club2/attach/anytractorman/vanguard 165.jpg[/img]

Pat Rarick put one in a 7018. pretty much the same tractor as your 3416. Do a archived search that is quite a bit of information. http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=74002&SearchTerms=vanguard

Hi, Which Vangard do you have is it one with the flat blower housing, or the "E" cooled later one with the plastic fan and the deep blower housing. I have done several of these in the past, but lost our muffler source. The later version is more difficult to put in as the engine is about 1 3/4 inch longer. I can provide you with the adapter plate to raise the engine to the correct height and everything you need to connect the drive shaft (for either type engine each engine takes different drive shaft adapter parts), move the oil filter, needed cables etc. everything except the muffler. I have used a Brs manifold and a Cub Cadet muffler on the outside in the first ones we did. (circa 1985) We quit that because of liability reasons and allowable heat surfaces outside the hood. We used a modified Sun Star Briggs muffler until they became NLA. I have no muffler that I could sell you that I would be protected from a temperature law suit. The state of the art temp requirements are not to exceed 140 degrees hood etc. We are treated as an OEM by the EPA and if I provide a muffler that exceeds the Briggs back pressure spec for the engine we ( under the new Tier 4 emissions rules ) are eligible for a $35,000.00 fine for every one we sell. Because of this if I make, modify or have made any muffler for an application, I have to insure it meets emission requirements. This includes even shortening pipes etc. We then weld taps on each inlet pipe in a straight section abt 1 inch from the port. Then we connect the engine to a Dyno and run the muffler for 20 to 25 minutes for temp stabilization at maximum factory rated rpm. Then we measure the back pressure using a dual manometer with the engine running wide open and the load slowly increased load the engine to maximum output. We monitor the BP continuously to ensure we are in spec all the way on each cylinder. We just finished back pressure testing 6 new sample mufflers for our JD318 and 400 kits. Unfortunately these are for 25hp Kohler Commands and physically wouldn't fit under the sim hood. If you want to purchase the Briggs manifold by BRS part number I will sell it to you as a part. Also the muffler. But in NO WAY do I imply that I approve or recommend you using it for this application. What you do with it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. Al

Al, The engine is a 1999-2000 16 hp vanguard it has a red housing and a oil filter assy,it has low hours on it 370ish or so.The engine was used on some kind of utility cart. I will check the number of the engine and post it up.Model # 303447 type 1379-E1 code 99031811 Do I need to cut the frame to fit it in the engine? I want the filter to say on the engine so a oil filter relocation kit would be used if needed. I can fab anything I need for the exhaust system, I have a muffler on it now and a muffler off a 2165 cub cadet. I like the wiring kit that is sold thru your company looks like it could save a ton of time. I was looking at the plates to mount the engine which one is used? There are sure to be plenty of other things I will need to do and get as I move forward.

Hi, I find that it is easiest to just give me a call at 1-800-462-2218 from a land line phone, or 319-462-2214 from a cell. I will gladly pay for the call, but if you call the 800 number from a cell it saves you nothing and still costs me .10 per minute. I shake a lot and type slowly besides, by the time I delete all of the aaa s etc, I prefer the phone. I can ask and answer more in 15 minutes than I can by sending 25 e-mails back and forth. I am usually in from 9 to 5:30 CDT. Have an eye doctor appointment tomorrow morning and will be gone to a Simplicity school Tue. When it is convenient give me a call and we will figure out what you need etc. If I am out my staff will take a number and I'll call you back, or they can tell you when I likely will return. Thanks, Al Eden

Al is great and will be your best source. His help has been priceless to me on some repowers. For a vangaurd repower method see here http://simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=114206&SearchTerms=7117

I was looking around the internet for a way to relocate the oil filter on the vanguard because I do not want to cut the frame or notch it. I haven't been able to find anything that will move it away. I would like to find the filter adapter that would turn the filter sideways. If I have to I guess I could make a steel plate with fittings welded to it for the engine and another bolted to the filter adapter use steel brake lines to tie it together. Any and all suggestions welcome.

quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Hribar
just notch the frame, very similiar to putting a Kohler k17 w/filter in
I don't want to notch the frame, I think that is just hacking. I like to do things the right way.

I found the briggs numbers for the Vanguard v twin remote oil filter block adapter kit#492687 remote filter kit #492061 18"hose ..................#492062 30"hose