Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Hogg

Oil Pressure Gauge . .

Hogg
Well I went and put an oil pressure gauge on my 7119. The engine is a 1985 replacement Magnum with full pressure lubrication. I have always been curious what kind of oil pressure I was running and as the engine has no low oil shutdown system, I decided to replace the amp meter with an oil gauge of the same diam. The interesting thing is that cold, the pressure is right at 60 PSI. After an hour of fairly heavy mowing it's hovering around 8 PSI. It seems to be fine, but I didn't think it would run so low. Any input? My wife bought me a digital camera for Father's Day and I would be glad to post photos if anyone is interested. Tim

dlcentral
Our 3118? with the Mag-18 has 50 lbs,cold,hot,pulling,etc> Change oil and filt.IMO,Of couse our motor has had the crank//rods re finished and polished!Somewhere I read 50. lbs under all op. conds. is normal,,

Hogg
dlcent: I maybe have 4 hrs on the oil. Filter could use a change. The engine has a lot of time on it. I bought the tractor for a song because it had a "thrown rod". Turned out the governor had self-destructed and dropped a weight between the crankcase and the big end of the rod just as the rod was getting close to the case. It popped a hole about 1/2" in dia. Had the hole welded up and the only thing I did was re-ring it and put a new governor in. Motor doesn't knock or use any oil, so I'm interested to hear your oil pressure stats. I wondered if the pressure was dropping too much. As I ran it from cold to pretty hot the gauge dropped very steadily over that 1 hour(?) period. Do you run a straight viscosity oil? Would you be concerned? The funny thing is I wasn't worried about the motor at all, before because it's a workhorse and I have really tortured it over the years. Overheated it 2 or 3 times (really hot). Now that I have the gauge, I'm worried. dutch; I'm running straight 30w oil. Gauge is direct pressure, 1/8" copper connected at the port above the filter. Tim