Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How do you get rid of white clover?

Brent_Baumer

Quite a lot of my yard is being taken over by white clover. Tried generic brand weed-n-feed last year on it with little effect. Worked well as fertilizer and ok on dandelions but did not affect the clover at all. Don't really want to fertilize this late in the season as dry weather will surely be here soon. Also, I mow often enough as it is and don't really want the grass to grow any faster. I have no crabgrass or any other weeds. Just nice bluegrass and white clover. I don't really care to see all those little white flowers that have cropped up the last couple of weeks. Any suggestions? Thanks, Brent.

I use only one brand SCOTTS !!! they have the best product, where applied, no dandelions ever came up and no weeds, I recomend it, try weed and feed and you will be very happy with the results, use the 5 step program and you won't be unsatisfied, thanks,-BradW

BRENT: I KNOW YOU DONT WANT TO FERTILIZE YOUR YARD BUT TRY MIXING 24D WEED KILLER WITH PASTURE FERTILIZER AND IT SHOULD HELP KILL YOUR CLOVER.I SPRAYED MY YARD A COUPLE WEEKS AGO WITH 24D AND THEN AGAIN LAST SUNDAY AGAIN WITH 2 GAL.OF PASTURE FERTILIZER FROM FARM FLEET AND IT IS KILLING WEEDS AND GREENING UP YARD AT THE SAME TIME .I MIX A OUNCE TO THE GAL.ON THE 24D WEED KILLER A TOATAL OF 15 OUNCES TO MY 15 GAL.SPRAYER AND IT IS LOOKING BETTER.AGCO918 CHAD E SHAFER

But think of all the four-leaf clovers you will be killing. You may have trouble finding some good luck afterwards.

I think I'll try the 2,4D this weekend and maybe some weed-b-gone (unless it's the same stuff) in two different areas and see which works the best, or at all. The resident horticulturalist at work say clover is resistant to most herbicides, except those that kill everyting like roundup.

I agree with Chad, spray 2-4D. It won't kill grass, corn, I don't know what all. Spray Roundup and it WILL KILL EVERYTHING. Jordan