Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How do you remove the gas tank on a 3415H>?

BradW

Take the steering wheel off. Remove the dash. Remove the fuel line( I just cut mine off close to the nipple). Slide the tank back as you gently wiggle it up and out. Be careful not to break off the nipple. Reinstalling it, you run the fuel line through all the necesary holes in the framework and attach it to the tank and slide the tank back in place keeping the fuel line pulled somewhat tight as you go. Sam

Brad, after you get it out cut out the metal about 1" wide from the nipple hole forward toward the engine. Then the tank can be removed without taking out the dash. There is plenty of strength in the remaining metal. I used a die grinder. Mike S.

How do you know if it is a bushing or the tank itslef that is leaking?-BradW --P.S.-- Thanks for the help!

If its the original tank there is no bushing. The 3400 and early 7000 series used a nipple molded right into the tank which points out towards the front of the tank. I generally replace the tanks in my newer tractors with these tanks as I have never had any luck replacing bushings. If your tank is original to the tractor and is leaking, my guess would be that either it is leaking around the hose(easy fix) or you have a hole worn into it somewhere along the bottom where it sits in the frame. Sam

I will check for leaks, if so, I will use gas tank sealant, I am really having a hard time getting this machine to get going!! lol, anyways, thanks, for the help,-BradW