Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

getting deep into B112 tranny

MPH

I finally got back to my B112 tranny tonight and found a major difference from the B10 I have for parts, was planning on putting B112 input shaft in it as it has seen much less abuse. buttttt input shaft bearing is needle versa ball, axle bearing are bushing instead of needle. got me wondering,,,since the one in my B112 was made in 72, is it even a 112 tranny???? When were B112's last made??? back to gear changin...MPH

B-112's were made '67-'68. If you have a door above your battery and fuel tank you have a B-112 with a replacment trans. Or I suppose you could have a B-210 or B-212 with a B-112 hood. If the hood is flat then it is likely you have a repainted B-210 or B-212 with B-112 decals. If this is confusing just say and I will try to clarify, Jordan.

But, even the B-210s and B-212s were not manufactured in 1972, so this has to be a replacement tranny from somewhere.... The variable speeds were still used on 300 series ACs and 3300 series Simplicity tractors through 1971 at least. They were replaced by the shuttle drive system -- which I'm not sure was an improvement when you consider durability. The 1972 Simplicity brochurer and the AC 400 series info does NOT even mention the variable speed, only the shuttle. Note that the standard 3-speeds and hydros were still available -- I'm talking about the "mid-price range" of a geared transmission between the standard 3-speed and the hydro....

Hmmmmmm,this is gettin interesting, think I have an Aklaskan built special edition. This may explain why my diffential is the newer spring loaded type, and the briggs is a 1970 32cuin instead of 30 cuin. Jordan, it does have 48 inch wheel base instead of 43 like my book shows for the B212. being a replacement tranny could explain why when I first put this back together I had to weld ears on the hitch uprights to mount the rear fenders to. oh well, got it back together last bout 1 am, prtly B-10 tranny and partly whatever tranny. didn't install yet as I want to paint it today as it is now half yellow and half black. MPH

Marty, I think if it were an Alaskan-built Special Edition, it would have come with a block heater and 4 wheel drive.... I'd bet it's off an AC 300 series, since Simplicity was still using the same rear seat pan/fender configuration on the 3300 series... Don't get hung up on the wheelbase issue -- the specs on the B-212 (and B-210) wheel base are wrong, in the B-series Service Manual at least. It's supposed to be 48". The B-112 is correctly listed at 48" in the brochure. The additional 4" is because of the VariDrive.... I guess I need to go change the info on the site now, since the tech specs came from the B-series service manual. Kent

Kent, I did install a pan heater under the briggs when I had it off. Alaskan special mean kept running with whatever you can find that mostly fits. Thanks for the info on the B212, when I first got to lookin at these I spent some time tryin to figure the diff. still not sure but since there is so few to be found in this country it sorta dropped prio list to know, guess I'll have to make a picknic some time..MPH