Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1974 Hydo Sovereign

rca

Any ideas why my Sovereign would not want to climb even a slight incline? It moves just fine on flats & declines, but slows way down on a hill. Pushing the hydro (drive) lever forward doesn't increase speed. It will slowly crawl up hill with the lever slightly forward, but slows if the lever is pushed forward. I don't notice any unpleasant noises, & attachments (tiller & mowdeck) all seem to work fine. Could it be something simple like a slipping belt (I hope)? Is there a way to check the drive belt while under load?

Hi, Look at the belt and while you are at it look at the bottom of the v in the front pulley, If the belt is running in the bottom of the pulley you are just driving with the corners of the belt and a little flat belt on the bottom. If the pulley is worn U shaped instead of V shaped it will probably rrequire a pulley as well as a belt to fix it. One other thing to check is to make sure the idler pulley arm is free and the linkage is letting it tighten the belt. Also be sure to lube the pivot. Good luck, Al E