Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Quiet old Briggs reply

palmrose2

I don't want to sound negative, just ask some questions about it.... Do you think it blocks the cooling air exiting from the head fins enough to cause a problem with heat? You're putting a hot muffler under the hood, near the engine without any type of heat shield. Have you noticed more heat buildup under the hood? I'd certainly like to quieten my old Briggs down more, but I don't want to cook it...

The muffler is mounted outside and in front of the grill. Like a high soft bumper. No way is there room to get it under the hood of the 3112V ( 69 Soveriegn ).

Brad and Kent, you guys keep it up and your gonna have to get copy rights on the sound of an ole briggs like Harley D. Looking forward to seeing just how you mounted your muffler up Brad, sound jam under load please....MPH

If any of you guys want here a bark under load then the civic muffler I used is NOT for you. I removed a stack type muffler to install this one. the stack was definately quieter than the OEM Simp muffler but I wanted less sound yet. It probably has something to do with the fact that I have to listen a well machine all day. Although I occasionally shut it off to weld on another length of steel casing with my Briggs powered welder.

Kent, I wonder what sound effect BradW got out of putting that real tractor lookin muffler on his,think 725, If I ever get past the -keep-em runnin stage with mine I sure want one of those.MPH

Kent, Would you like me to type up how I did the stack muffler and how I put it together and mounted it? If so, please contact me and I will tell how I did it. P.S., they are alot quiter, but if load them (put a heavy load on the motor) you can get them to "bark" real nicely!!

Brad, That would be great, and we could put it in the DO It Yourself section. Add some more pictures if you'd like. Include all the needed parts, part numbers, quantities, and estimated costs, too, it you can... I ran a stack muffler (source unknown) that I picked up at a swap meet for a while, until it came apart. I liked the sound, but it did cause a concern about clearance a time or two when mowing around shrubs and bushes... I have old lilacs that bend over in the way, plus what appears to be a wild rose... Did we ever confirm that you can still get the cannister type Nelson mufflers that were mentioned in an earlier thread? Kent

Kent, is it possible for you to add sound files in the do it yourself section, when I send you the info and pictures, I could send you a sound file somehow? Or maybe if you could I could ship a floppy disk to you if you could add it, my dad has one of the nice sony mavicas with the video feature so I could send the sound file if you could add it, thanks,-BradW

Brad, I can add sound. Send two recordings, if possible -- one with it idling and another at full throttle. Kent

I can send 2 sounds file, I could also have one going through the throttle band, idle to full then full down to idle, what is the best way of doing that, sending floppy disks in package from the post office or what would you like that?-BradW

Can do, I picked up a 3414 with a spare motor, deck, garder blade, rear blade, plow, disk, and cultivator, got a spare sleeve hitch too! I will hook the plow up to the 700 and pull through hard ground, that will bark then!!-BradW P.S. Did I mention I only I paid 250 for it?