Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Making Something Out of Nothing

dmcluckie

It does my heart good to read your posts and realize so many of you like to make something out of nothing. So here's a challenge. I would like to make something that functions like a John Deere Gator, for maybe $1000. If you haven't seen a Gator, the front end and seat are like a golf cart, the back end is a dump bed. My requirements and compromises are a little different. It can be slow. It does not need a bench seat, a one person seat would be fine. The dump bed is a requirement, but the dump mechanism can be anything from hand lift to some kind of power. I'd like to have some place to mount a hitch ball to move a 2000 pound trailer. Must be simple and safe to drive. This would basically be my wife's power garden cart, plus I'd use it for the same plus moving the boat/trailer. I can't see using a garden tractor without some sort of frame stretch. Maybe that is a practical approach? The Gator is wider too, I'm not sure if that's important. Or maybe a cheap old golf cart, but there again there is not room for the dump bed, really. And they are probably not that cheap. I suppose if I really loved her, I'd buy a used Gator. :-) But where's the fun in that? :-) Any ideas, let's hear 'em. -Don

Don, I was looking for the same kinda uses as you so I did just that, and it worked great. I wish I would have taken some pictures. It worked the best at parties giving kids and adults rides in the back. If you ever saw one of these factory dump boxes on the carts, they stick half why off the back. You would have plenty of room on the standard cart. The next logical thing to add would be a JBJr. Good luck, your on the right track. John Scheele

Don, I was looking for the same kinda uses as you so I did just that, and it worked great. Mine was a Cushman 4 wheel. I wish I would have taken some pictures. It worked the best at parties giving kids and adults rides in the back. If you ever saw one of these factory dump boxes on the carts, they stick half why off the back. You would have plenty of room on the standard cart. The next logical thing to add would be a JBJr. Good luck, your on the right track. John Scheele

you need to make one with a diesel 3 cyd.engine and have hydralics on the back to lift and dump the bed and would be neat to have a 3 point hitch to put small attachments such as a blade on it. agco918 chad e shafer

If you buy an ATV type like the Gator, whatever you do STAY AWAY from Polaris. Kawasaki's are the only good Manufacturer of this type of vehicle. I am also an ATV enthusiast and I read 3 ATV magazine subscriptions, and it's no secret Polaris is JUNK. Even though they may be the 2nd best-selling brand, they are junk, much like jd is popular but junk. My personal favorites are Yamaha(I have one), Honda and Kawasaki. Bombardier(Ski Doo) is good but expensive. My dad bought our Yamaha in 1987(?) and ran it on the same engine oil til I changed it in the summer of 1999. Never been rebuilt, we pull 6,000 to 7,000 pound hay wagons with it also. I'll never own a Brand X. Jordan

Just to give you some ideas, here’s a link to Club Car http://www.clubcar.com/Products/Commercial/Utility/Default.htm and a link to EZ-GO http://www.ezgo.com/vehicles/turf/main.htm There are several used carts on eBay under $1000, just to give you an idea of price. http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1158539290 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=592668558&r=0&t=0 http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1157635730 http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1157377856 I’m partial to electric golf carts. Step on the pedal and go. Quiet, no fuel, and plenty of power. Also, the frames are a snap to stretch. The motor bolts directly to the rear axle. No drive shaft to lengthen. Visit your local junkyard. The Model “A” Ford had a great little dump body. You may still be able to find one.

If you want to make a “poor man’s” Gator, a golf cart is probably the easiest way to go. You should be able to find a “distressed” one for under $500. I had an EZ-GO electric 3 wheeler for years. I installed an electric/hydro flat bed dump. My wife loved it because it was so easy to operate. I loved it because there was no maintenance. If you don’t want to go with a golf cart, visit your local junk yard and look at the Cushman type vehicles that meter maids use, post office “jeeps”, foreign cars, garden tractors, and ATVs. Many of them will have components suitable for fabricating what you want.

Hi, I have 4 Cushman trucksters, 1 four wheel with cab, box and blown engine, [3] 3 wheels 2 with cabs and maintainance type covered utility boxes with rear facing seat, 1 3 wheel turf truckster with a bent frame with 2 speed auxillary transmission for 6 forward speeds and 2 reverse also 540 PTO. I would take 1000.00 for the whole works. If anyone is interested I could send or post pix. Al

Dutch, what is the lifespan of cart batteries? How much money to buy new batteries? Thanks, -Don

Since there are so many variables, I really try to avoid speculating on any item's longevity or value. My experience with deep cycle batteries is that they last about as long as regular lead acid batteries (3-6 yrs), but cost more ($75-$125), and I will only replace them in sets (excluding damage). You didn't ask, but I prefer 6 volt rather than 12 volt for motive power. So, if a golf cart uses a 36 volt motor, you would need six 6 volt batteries (8 for 48 volt).

Buy a cheap yard trailer and remove the axle and cut it in half crossways. Make a frame that hooks onto the rear lift of you Simplicity and you have a dump box. Or mount the whole trailer on a frame with a rear caster wheel and mount to the tractor like the old bumper mount single wheel trailers.