Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Onan Electronic Ignition: Kent's message #4249

powermax_paul

Kent's message got me thinking. Has any one ever successfully put an electronic ignition on an Onan CCKB? I've found that operation in the hot summer and high temps, the oil viscosity drops to the point that the pushrod that operates the points sometimes pumps oil up into the point/condenser compartment and screws up the points. An electronic conversion would be nice. I may have a good hydraulics background but I'm not a genius when it comes to engines and especially the electrical aspect of them. Anyone got any ideas? Powermax_Paul

I talked to Onan about electronic ignition for the CCKB's many moons ago,(before Cummins take over), they said none was available thru Onan. And yes, both cylinders fire at the same time, so if someone finds the answer, it would be great! Cause the points are a real pain to install, at about 100hrs. just like clock work. Attn. Power max, still working on may 620 loader problem, got the gauge installed, when I run the bucket all the way up, the pressure is at about 2000 p.s.i. I think I may have an internal leak in the lift cylinders. Floydster

Why not do away with the points and condenser and convert to electronic ignition with a crank trigger..? I’ve done this to many engines, but not on an Onan CCK yet. However, it should work just fine.

interesting idea! I don't have a good handle on electrics at all,but I read somewhere that the CCKB's fire both cylinders at the same time so i would think that the timing aspect of one of these would be like a single cylinder and then you could use one of those "electronic points modules" that everybody seems to be selling these days. Now... if somebody could tell us why they can't be used with a battery ignition???

Yes, I read that for sure. Both cyls fire at the same time so I would seem to simplify (these simple tractors strike again!!!) What a great idea as the points are finicky (is this a word?). Steve

Yes, the Onan ignition fires both cyls at the same time. There's no distributor. Anyway, does anyone have info on some battery powered electronic ignition module? Like Dutch's idea, I'm sure I could rig up some kind of mag pickup to fire the module. Paul

Hi, There is no magnet to provide the energy for an electronic ignition. You need a magnet in the flywheel, 1 to provide the energy, 2 to provide the trigger signal. Sorry guys the the road from battery to magneto [electronic] is far tougher than from magneto to battery. Good luck, Al

Al’s right. Unless you use optics, you need a magnet. But the magnet need not be in the flywheel. The magnet can be in the switch, and the “sensor or trigger” can be located on anything attached to the crankshaft. I have one of these rigs on a 6 cylinder Cat grader that I still use. Made it from a Chrysler module and a home made trigger ring that bolts to the front of the engine.

Just a clarification guys- yes they fire at the same time but they aren't on the same stroke. Spark occurs on both comp TDC & ex TDC. The actual combustion cycles alternate. Didn't want anyone thinkin' they went BANG at the same time! Bill

Yeah, I forgot to mention that, Bill. Both of the plugs fire twice as many times as they need to. They fire on the exhaust stroke too. From that standpoint, however, the ignition is basically the same as a single cylinder except the coil is driving two plugs. I received an email last nite from a guy who has converted his 9020 to e-ignition. I'll ask him for details and post a follow-up message. Paul

Take the automotive approch. Many old points cars have been retrofitted with electronic ignitions. I believe they still use the points on some for timing and to switch the modual on and off. It's a pretty low energy signal, so the points should last forever. Try JCWhitney or a performence store for the kit. Good luck, John

Louis, Conversion to electronic ignition is “simple” in the respect all components are readily available. The “difficult” part is connecting those components to a specific engine. Where there is a large market, some manufacturer will offer a custom made installation kit. Where there is a small market, you’re on your own to fabricate the necessary attaching hardware. Does anyone offer a “bolt on” kit for a CCK..? I don’t know. Have any of you guys checked with members of a railroad club..? Seems I’ve heard that many of those little service cars use Onan CCK engines. Check out the link and ask.[A href='http://www.narcoa.org/']http://www.narcoa.org/[/a]