Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
TimH

611LT wheel now off, but still need help

TimH
Some time ago several of you offered advice regarding the removal of a wheel from the back axle of my 611LT. I tried heat, solvents, a gear puller, and cussing, but in the end I took the transmission apart, got enough play in the axle to pry the snap ring inside the differential and remove the offending axle. With just the axle (10" long) and the wheel, I was able to drive the axle backwards out of the wheel. The culprit, as I see it, was a long (1.5") rectangular key used to secure the wheel, rather than a woodruff key. Now the other problem, the needle bearing had totally disintigrated, and there is a 1/2" long by 1/16" deep groove worn in the shaft. I am guessing that my best bet is to take the axle to a place that rebuilds cranks, and have them build it up and turn it down. Does this sound like a good idea? One other thing, how does that needle bearing get lubrication. There is an oil seal on the outside of the differential, and the needle bearing sits in the outside of a 4" long "extender." If the oil seal at the differential does its job, then the outer needle bearing will always run dry. Should I cut the inner seal, or remove it, or drill a hole in the differential, or just add some oil to that "extender" when I reassemble the back end (maybe adding a paper gasket too?) Sorry for the long post, but I appreciate your advice, as I am flying by the seat of my pants here. Thanks - Tim

Sandy_Lake_Imp
That axle is available new & is not very expensive. Drop us a line with the trans tag # & full details. The bearing is "permanently lubed" at time of assembly. Bill