Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How heavy of a roller can I tow with my Landlord?

dmcluckie

My Landlord is a 94 or so 18HP with Tuff-Tork hydro. How much weight can it tow? I borrowed a 48" x 24" roller which can weigh 900# if I fill it full. Thanks, Don McLuckie

Hi Don it sounds like the same roller I have but I also can put spikes on mine to aerate at the same time if one wants to. I have pulled mine with it full to the fill spug with my 1964 Landlord that has rear wheel weights with just a little problem while trying to stop the 900 or so pounds but other then that I just cruise along. >>->happyjack<-<< P.S. That's with a tractor that weights about 250#'s less and with a 10 hp engine so go for it.

Hi Dutch, I bought this roller used and I think it is a Brinley Hardley. It came with bands of 3/16" x 2" flat stock with 5/8" studs welded to the bands and the bands rapp around the steel roller and are connected with a bolt at boths ends so that you can remove them if needed or slide them around for adjustment. It really does the job of areateing while rolling but sometimes I feel a narrower larger dia" roller would be better putting more weight down per square inch then this wider one. when I get it back this week from my son I will measure its width if you like but I know they sell one that holds just about as much water but is not as wide. I think this roller would even areate black top on a hot summer day with out to much trouble ha. :) I do know it even works well without the studs for rolling blacktop in tight places as we have used it for this. Take care, >>->happyjack<-<<

If my 59' Wonderboy 700 in the photo below can tow a 900 pound roller with an 8 horse single cylinder motor I know your Landlord can pull a heavy one, BTW (By The Way) Where in Morris are you located at?, I stay on North Street sometimes and I am working for Snook Equipment this summer (Simplicity Dealer) I would like to get in touch, good luck-BradW http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1659972&a=12716975&p=47277566

[warning, wandering off-topic...] Brad, we live in Coal City and are moving to Goose Lake. Big yard so I had to buy a big mower. I was in Snook's this week to buy parts from your Simplicity dude with the copper Ford truck. :-) Your tractor looks great. I just wasn't sure if my hydro was up to a 900 lb pull. I'm still not, but I'll start with it not full all the way and see how it does. -Don McLuckie

Brad.NICE LOOKIN 700.. With the muffler its "Boss". where did you find the muffler and how'd you mount it? pic of the other side would be intersting. MPH

Lawn is better off not being rolled. Compacts dirt way too which is not good good for it. This is why many farmers use no-till planters less compction on soils much better to grow in. Those huge Caterpillar tractors, I'm not sure how much they weigh but I'd guess 25,000 to 30,000 pounds, with thier tracks the compaction is only 6 psi, much better for soils. Jordan

Jordan, I agree, but what I do is roll the grass then aereate the lawn to releive compaction yet achieve the flatness, that is your best bet-BradW