Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Input on removing Tine assemblies requested

SmilinSam

I have before me the arduous task of removing the tine assemblies from the shafts of a early 36" Simplicity Tiller so as I can replace the bearings. I have heat, prybars, pipe wrenches- you name it. What method or combination of methods has worked best for some of you? Thanks, Sam

Sometimes colorful language helps!!! An air hammer may do the trick along with heat if needed. Bill

What you need to do is go down to your local fire department and borrow the "jaws of life" Seriously, Ive been there, a very tough job, heat & hammer long enough, and they will come off. But I know how your feel, at one point I almost decided to really heat them up by dousing them with gas and lighting a match!

I am also wrestling my tiller.Got the tines off one side.Other side will not come off.Heat and big hammer worked on the one but not the other.Will try heat and air hammer next.Also the 3 bolts that hold the bearing to the case will not come out.I guess the nuts on back side of reinforcement plate are spinning.Will weld them in place when/if I get it apart.[A href='http://acgardenmanuals.homestead.com/AC36heavydutytiller.html'][img src='http://acgardenmanuals.homestead.com/files/AC_tiller1.jpg'][/a]

Just got mine apart... busted chain. After a lot of unsucessful mucking about, I got a piece of round stock to fit inside the tine shaft, cut it to length, and used that in combination with a LARGE puller. Worked good enough that it scared the second side loose, lucky me. I like to save heat for a very last resort. Now that I have it apart, what about the primordial soup inside? What and how much do I replace that with? Rick