Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Radio Static on my 720

jackcobb

Actually, the alternator system is very similar to the old non-self regulated auto alternator system but on a smaller scale. Inside the bottom cover of the tractor is a solid state voltage regulator with the brand name SYNCRO on it. Anyway, I agree with Les and Dutch. The static is probably more likely coming from the ignition. I don't know if a resistor plug is available. Now to find someone who knows a lot about spark plugs. Perhaps Splitfire has a replacement plug for the H8 or H10C. I guess that didn't help much. Sorry. Paul

The plug wire(s) and coil wire are the most likely culprits. Try the static suppression wires (carbon) like they use on cars. Roy

Bought a fender mount radio for my 720. Country Western Tunes while I mow! ( Maybee ZZ Top now and then). Anyway, the ignition static is terrible. The instructions say to put the supplied capacitor/filter on the 12 volt output of the alternator. So since the 720 doesn't have the traditional 12 Volt auto alternator I'm used too, where would you bolt the filter too? I know it is charging and spitting out 12 volts from somewhere??????

Jack, It's a conspiracy. The only radio stations I get clear anywhere are liberal talk shows, gangsta rap, heavy classical, and of course Spanish language. Anyway, you probably hit on the problem yourself when you said "ignition static." Disconnect the alternator wires and check reception. I'll bet static will still be there from the ignition. You could try experimenting with different capacity capacitors (filters) connected to the coil, change to carbon plug wires, and switch to RF plugs, and make some foil shields. If you're fortunate enough to suppress the ignition noise, then you can move onto the alternator and other moving parts. Also, try grounding the radio chassis and antenna. If possible, relocate the antenna to different parts of the tractor. Why not move into the 21st century..? Return that radio and get a CD player. Good luck...........