Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7790 Lombardini Diesel-worth fixing???????

SmilinSam

I picked it up today from the original owner, nice machine overall- always garaged. Engine ran last fall but used oil, would not start this spring, as the story goes. Wouldn't mind seeing it fixed, but need to consider the cost. Is this something that a 30 year veteran of small gas engine rebuilding could make a go at( a friend of mine who would give me a hand as I doubt hiring it done would be cost effective)?? and, are the parts available and reasonable??? Budget would be under $1000 and- would I have anything worthwhile when finished?? A change to gas would be quick, cheap, and easy, but having a diesel is not common. Thanks, Sam

fix it if you can as there are pretty rare sam.i seen one at portlan indiania last yr for $1400.00.didnt look to bad. would like to find its brother the 920 allis chalmers.agco918

If I had a way to transport it to the west coast, I'd buy it from you if your not interested in repairing it.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]

They have awsome power but vibrate and are noisy,and can be a bear to get started.Hard starting on mine I found out was due to dirty injectors.Also fuel consumption is a lot less than a gas eng.Intake manifold heater HAS to work or you'll never get it started!And do NOT use ether to get it started if manifold heater is working You'll get a big BANG outta that!Oil is cheap,mine used oil but still had loads of power.I wouldn't worry about re-building it.IMO,, Good luck with it,,,

Hi, If you decide to go gas, we have a complete kit with everything needed from engine on down including hardware with instructions for 1875. Al E

If you plan on convering to gas, I would be willing to trade a running gas Simplicity for it, would like to have a running diesel Simplicity for show-BradW

I have a 7790 which I am gradually getting into working shape. There are limited parts sources and the parts seem somewhat pricey and slow to obtain (I'm obviously not a major customer of the my local Lombardini retailer). That being said it certainly is a fun machine. If you decide to repower, let me know about about your leftover stuff, I'm always looking for spare parts.

Actually this thing might run. I have to get some time to work on it first. By chance I may even have found another Lombardini complete(with hole in block) for parts. Following up on that tomorrow. Personally I'd rather fix the Diesel and sell the 7114 with the weed mower and other attachments. I was just trying to find someone who has rebuilt one that can give me an idea of cost for a good overhaul. SandyLake???????? How about it Bill, you know anything about these, ballpark pricewise??????? Sam

Sam, My friend (partner) in tractor pulling uses a 7790. He had the engine completely rebuilt (I don't know the cost) by the people that work on "refer" engines. The engines that are used for refrigeration units on semi-trailers. This diesel was used on, I believe, the Carrier units, Thermoking used a different engine. BTW this tractor rarely gets beat, towards the end of the pull it start shooting out black smoke 30ft in the air...just like the big Super Stock tractors! Mike S.